Scroll Text with Circuit Playground?

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fishm

Scroll Text with Circuit Playground?

Post by fishm »

There seem to be many options available to scroll text with the micro:bit (on board screen, scroll:bit), but I can't find a "plug and play" option for circuit playground. I'd love to have this option available for my students - any suggestions?

Thanks!

dastels

Re: Scroll Text with Circuit Playground?

Post by dastels »

The CircuitPlayground Classic, no. But there is the TFT Gizmo for the CircuitPlayground Express and Bluefruit. Even that might not be a pure "plug & play" experience, but a little CircuitPython should give you the capability.

Dave

fishm

Post by fishm »

This looks like a great device, but for my level I'm looking for something that my students can use within MakeCode. This could be something for a more advanced level, certainly. (I work with students in 7th grade) Any other suggestions out there?

Marty

dastels

Post by dastels »

I expect makecode will support the tft gizmo eventually.

fishm

Post by fishm »

Fingers crossed - I was just dreaming up ways to use this with students ... it could be really fantastic.

benmcl

Post by benmcl »

+1 vote for a MakeCode extension for the TFT Gizmo!!

I too am a middle/high school teacher who just finished up a coding class using the micro:bit with servos, sensors, motors and more. I just unboxed the AdaBox014 and would love to get this into the hands of my creative students! I see that there already is a MakeCode extension for the Adafruit Crickit.

dastels

Post by dastels »

The Crickit (in any of it's versions) is a great way to experiment. It's an especially great extension of the CircuitPlayground.

Dave

fishm

Post by fishm »

benmcl wrote:+1 vote for a MakeCode extension for the TFT Gizmo!!

I too am a middle/high school teacher who just finished up a coding class using the micro:bit with servos, sensors, motors and more. I just unboxed the AdaBox014 and would love to get this into the hands of my creative students! I see that there already is a MakeCode extension for the Adafruit Crickit.
I'm looking at introducing the Micro:bit to my 7th grade class in much the same way. Right now I'm spending a lot of time reviewing the "CS with Microbit" curriculum, but having done it before, do you have any great resources you've found and would be willing to share? (couldn't figure out how to message you privately). Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have the opportunity!

kevinjwalters

Post by kevinjwalters »

In case you missed them two recent developments, the new CLUE board with compatible size, edge connector and a 240x240 screen replacing the 5x5 LEDs, plus the release of some classroom tuned resources for BBC micro:bit:

kevinjwalters

Post by kevinjwalters »

Judging by the public set on YouTube featuring KarenCorbeill (her first name appears to be a banned word on forum!!) these are not created with the structure for a school lesson but they are still interesting with a good level of detail, plus any gaps are often filled in by commentators: https://www.electronicsweekly.com/news/ ... l-2020-03/

fishm

Post by fishm »

I'm watching the CLUE boards with great interest - hoping for a MakeCode extension!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Judging by the public set on YouTube featuring KarenCorbeill (her first name appears to be a banned word on forum!!)
Sorry about the banned words. Our automated spam defenses work hard to filter the daily barrage and sometimes odd words find their way into the list. I'll mention it to our web team.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”