Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Computing vs Biology
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Computing vs Biology

by kevinjwalters on Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:13 am

I did a 60 second demo of a CLUE (alpha hardware) today to a teacher and she was interested in the pulse plotting (reflected green light sensor from white LEDs) in terms of it sitting between Computing and Biology subjects. This is a still image from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flch_hw_Gc4 :

CLUE-pulse-plotter.jpg
Adafruit CLUE running CircuitPython plotter showing reflected green light from white LED illumination.
CLUE-pulse-plotter.jpg (191.83 KiB) Viewed 322 times

I've noticed myself that many children have picked up a "siloed" view of subjects from somewhere and maybe things like this could be used to try and address that. I've certainly got something to learn here as I don't fully understand what I'm looking at. I've highlighted an interesting blip you can often see just before the main pusle of blood flow.

The barometer also worked well in the lift and I'm sure would have worked well in the simpler environment of the stairs.

There's a more sophisticated pulse meter using the Adafruit Pulse Sensor Amped using the CLUE described on Get a CLUE about your Pulse :-).

kevinjwalters

Re: Computing vs Biology

by kevinjwalters on Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:47 pm

I finished the guide on this and it's been published: Adafruit Learn: CLUE Sensor Plotter in CircuitPython.

I've put a lot of resources in there that could be used/adapted for teaching computing in schools in there. There's flow charts, UML class diagrams, a discussion on floating point, some unit testing and some brief discussions on a few aspects of Python including typing and number representation.

kevinjwalters

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.