Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Anybody Teaching CircuitPython Online Without a Device?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Anybody Teaching CircuitPython Online Without a Device?

by briandbrady on Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:58 am

Since so many colleges and universities have went fully online, how are you teaching CircuitPython without your students having devices? I teach a programming class that uses Python, NumPy, and CircuitPython. I still want to cover the CircuitPython material but students don't have their kits (still in my lab) that have a CPB plus wires and other sensors and devices. I have 15 scripts for them to create with a range of difficulty. I know that there is an extension for VS Code for the CPX. However, you can only import the `cp` module and not `digitalio`, `analogio`, or other modules, so the scripts that I can have students create are fairly limited.

Any great ideas out there? I have about 2 weeks to put something into place that ideally is totally web-based or easy to install on Windows PCs and Macs without much assistance from me.

Desperately,
Brian Brady

briandbrady

Re: Anybody Teaching CircuitPython Online Without a Device?

by johnpark on Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:46 am

It's a great question -- other than the VC Code extension the only other thing I know of is the Python mode in maker.makecode.com. There you can pick which board to use and then switch from block mode to JavaScript or Python modes. But it is not CircuitPython, so may not be what you're looking for.

johnpark

by briandbrady on Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:53 am

Thanks John, I just stumbled across maker.makecode.com. It has some promise, but I will need to create an explainer so the students can shift from CIrcuitPython to how the Python commands are used there. Hmmm, would it be possible to create classes or a module such that students use CP commands that perform the tasks that maker is using? I will need to see what I can come up with.

briandbrady

by briandbrady on Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:13 pm

@johnpark Do you know how or if a .py file can be imported into main.py in makecode maker when programming in Python? I can add a file and make it a Python file, but cannot seem to import it into main.py

Brian

briandbrady

by johnpark on Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:22 pm

I haven't worked with that at all -- but a great place to check is the forum.makecode.com forums.

johnpark

by modimodi on Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:10 am

@johnpark Do you know how or if a .py file can be imported into main.py in make code maker when programming in Python? I can add a file and make it a Python file, but cannot seem to import it into main.py
Thank You

modimodi

by johnpark on Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:49 pm

I'm not sure about that, I haven't used Python in MakeCode much -- I would ask this on forum.makecode.com

johnpark

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.