Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

cannot get anything to work
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

cannot get anything to work

by bmakeitso on Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:21 pm

I am new at ADAFRUIT and am attempting my first project. I purchased all the components for the ray gun blaster - Pro trinket 5V 16Mz, FX sound board + 2x2 W amp (16mb), LiIon back pack, mono 2.5W class D,audio amp and NeoPixel ring. I have re-rechecked the wiring, can successfully load the program from the instructions, everything lights up, but nothing happens.
Some things to note:
1) The red light on the battery pack is dim with the battery only supplying power and is bright when connected to USB. Not sure if this is normal. See photo.
2) I tested the board with the blinking light program and it worked
3) checked voltage at the neopixel ring and it is 4.9V
4) Validated that the sound board has the files installed
6) Validated that the push button switch works
7) before loading the sound board, and I connected the USB to the board, a red light on one of the neopixel rings lit up, was unable to repeat this feature.
8) USB cable is good (spent a lot of time chasing down loading problems, found it was a bad USB cable)
9) The instructions for connecting the NeoPixel is different than the wiring diagram. I connected it per the diagram. The word instructions say to connect the ring from BAT vs. 5V. Note BAT is 4.2V, where 5V is 4.9V
10) No errors when loading the code.
11) I checked all connections with an ohm meter, all wires good.
12) when first connected, the speaker made repeating noise. Has stopped since loading the code.

I am at wits end, please help. I have all the parts printed and ready to assemble. I searched the internet and forums and seems I am unique with this problem.... Found a lot of help getting to the point where I could load the code. Had many "opportunities to excel" getting to the point where I could load the code.

Thanks,
Paul
Attachments
IMG_1996 resize.JPG
dim red light
IMG_1996 resize.JPG (377.93 KiB) Viewed 179 times
IMG_1997 resize.JPG
'Bright red light with USB powered
IMG_1997 resize.JPG (375.62 KiB) Viewed 179 times

bmakeitso

Re: cannot get anything to work

by bmakeitso on Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:27 am

Found the problems. The file names in the instruction sound files called out different pins than the wiring diagram. The NeoPixel problem was the code called out different pins for the ring and fire button than the wiring diagram. corrected the code and all is well.

bmakeitso

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.