Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Windows 10, Circuit Playground Express, avrdude: butterfly_r
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Windows 10, Circuit Playground Express, avrdude: butterfly_r

by sleitman on Mon May 18, 2020 4:23 am

Hello,

I am using the Circuit Playgrounds for some remote teaching and it is mostly going very well.

However, I am having terrible trouble getting one student's Windows 10 machine to upload Arduino code to the boards.

An Arduino Uno works fine. When we try to load programs on the Playground, the board gets stuck in upload mode and we get a repeated message: avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding

We have tried all of the usual things - the port, programmer, and board are all set correctly and we have tried resetting the board, unplugging, restarting, etc.

Does anyone have any leads or hints that we might try?

Sasha

sleitman

Re: Windows 10, Circuit Playground Express, avrdude: butterf

by kevinjwalters on Sat May 23, 2020 9:02 am

This message is mentioned in an FAQ for a similar board.

I'm trying to upload to my Feather M0, and I get this error "Connecting to programmer: .avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding"

You probably don't have Feather M0 selected in the boards drop-down. Make sure you selected Feather M0.

The Adafruit Circuit Playground Express: Set Up Arduino IDE has general tips. I only do Arduino programming very occasionally so I can't remember when you need the double-click reset for the CPX. There's also Adafruit Circuit Playground Express: Troubleshooting - the CPLAYBOOT drive check there looks like a useful thing to check.

I think I'd try and get some screenshots of the relevant bits of Arduino IDE and the USB driver to ensure the correct things are selected/installed.

kevinjwalters

by sleitman on Mon May 25, 2020 1:12 am

Thanks - I have been doing screen-sharing over zoom with my students so I know that things were correctly selected.

It actually took him deleting Arduino and the libraries and reinstalling everything to fix the problem.

Sasha

sleitman

by Jon32 on Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:49 am

sleitman wrote:Thanks - I have been doing screen-sharing over zoom with my students so I know that things were correctly selected.

It actually took him deleting Arduino and the libraries and reinstalling everything to fix the problem.

Sasha

Thanks for the decision.
I also faced this problem!

Jon32

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.