Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

how to rotate 100 stepper motors simultaneously using a micr
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

how to rotate 100 stepper motors simultaneously using a micr

by Atashnezhad on Thu May 28, 2020 4:37 pm

I am new here and I know very basic things about the microcontrollers.
I am going to control 100 to 200 stepper motors simultaneously using a microcontroller or microcomputer.
I am familiar with python programming and I prefer to work with it.
Could you please help me and let me know what product works best for me!?
I heard about Arduino and I2C bus. I got several Ardiuni nano and tried to hock up each stepper motor to one microcontroller and I tried to use a master Arduino Uno as a center.
Unfortunately, I could not find the address of each Arduino nano. Therefore I thought maybe switching to some other microcontrollers could be helpful (not sure tho).
is it possible to use a microcontroller (which uses python) and just hock up all stepper motors and run a program to talk with each stepper motors? Is there any easy way to stack microcontrollers so it builds up the potential of connecting more and more stepper motors?

Thanks for your help in advance

Atashnezhad

Re: how to rotate 100 stepper motors simultaneously using a

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu May 28, 2020 6:06 pm

Unfortunately, I could not find the address of each Arduino nano.

The address is whatever you program it to be. https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/MasterWriter

is it possible to use a microcontroller (which uses python) and just hock up all stepper motors and run a program to talk with each stepper motors?

What do you want the motors to do? If all the motors are doing exactly the same steps, that might be possible. But if each motor will be doing something different, you will need at least 200 pins to control 100 motors. That would not be possible to do with one processor.

adafruit_support_bill

by Atashnezhad on Thu May 28, 2020 7:10 pm

What do you want the motors to do? If all the motors are doing exactly the same steps, that might be possible. But if each motor will be doing something different, you will need at least 200 pins to control 100 motors. That would not be possible to do with one processor.

Thanks for your answer. I want each stepper motors to do some steps but it would be different than others. Each stepper motor should step independently and freely based on the values that are come from the Master! Yeah, as you said I guess I need a 200 GPIO or some tools to be able to operate this for me! do you have any suggestions? here is an example of a project that I like to do! please check out the link. https://vimeo.com/101408845
Here we see that there are 200 stepper motors that each works independently! a camera takes and input and returns it to steps for each stepper independently! How can I control all of these steppers in a project like this?
I appreciate your help in advance.
Thanks

Atashnezhad

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu May 28, 2020 7:55 pm

For a project like that, you might be better off using RC servos. These typically have a 180 degree range of motion and are simpler to control than steppers. You just tell them to move to a position and they automatically go there. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mot ... /rc-servos

We have a 16-channel PWM servo driver with an i2c interface. https://www.adafruit.com/product/815
It is addressable, so you can control as many as 920 servos with just two pins.

adafruit_support_bill

by Atashnezhad on Thu May 28, 2020 10:12 pm

adafruit_support_bill wrote:We have a 16-channel PWM servo driver with an i2c interface. https://www.adafruit.com/product/815
It is addressable, so you can control as many as 920 servos with just two pins.

This is pretty close to what I am looking for But I need stepper motors instead of servos motors.! I am going to use the stepper motors to pull up some small weights. Could you please let me know if this product is working for stepper motors too? each stepper motors have 4 wires, unlike the servos motors.
Thanks

Atashnezhad

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri May 29, 2020 5:46 am

The PWM Servo controller can't drive a stepper motor directly. But Pololu makes a line of "TIC" stepper controller/driver boards which make stepper motors respond to RC servo control signals.

You can configure these controllers for a much wider range of motion than an RC servo, But they would still be as simple to program. You could use those plus the PWM Servo boards to control all of your steppers from a single processsor.

https://www.pololu.com/category/212/tic ... ontrollers

adafruit_support_bill

by Atashnezhad on Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:35 am

I am looking for a shield that makes my work easy to control lots of stepper motors simultaneously.
I found a board online that was used by Daniel Rozin for his famous wooden mirror project.
Please see the attached pictures.
could you please let me know what type of board is it? if Adafruit has any of this type or if you make customized boards?

newshot.png
a customized board that can control 8 stepper motors simultaneously
newshot.png (681.48 KiB) Viewed 108 times

Atashnezhad

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:56 am

I don't recognize the board. It is probably custom made. Looks like there are probably 8 quad H-bridge chips for driving 16 steppers. I don't see any interface for a processor to control them.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.