Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

CCS811 and microbit
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

CCS811 and microbit

by shabysheik on Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:18 pm

CCS811_3.png
THis image is in case the shared image addresses below don't work. It shows all the number formats for I2C that makecode supplies.
CCS811_3.png (70.93 KiB) Viewed 94 times

Hi there

I'm trying to create a resource that uses your CCS811 sensor board together with a microbit that would be suitable for upper primary. It will work best in block code such as MakeCode for microbit. There is a block that gets data from an I2C pin (pin 19 or 20). I've put in the address (90) - 0x5A but the only result I get is '0'. I've tried all the formats (not knowing which is the correct one)

I've also used address 0x5B (91) but to no avail.

I'm connecting the whole thing up with a kitronik edge connector as that is what I had on hand. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has had any success with this sensor and a microbit. I want to measure CO2 levels inside the classroom.

Any insights would be most welcome

shaby

shabysheik

Re: CCS811 and microbit

by kevinjwalters on Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:36 am

I never worked out how to use the i2c blocks. They don't make sense to me as for a read you have to specify the address of the device and the address of the register you want to read from.

Did you try this from MicroPython, I think that's more likely work?

BTW, CS8811 is not a real CO2 sensor, it's an eCO2 sensor where e standards for equivalent. The use of the term equivalent is unfortunate now as it sounds a lot like carbon dioxide equivalent. The sensor is attempting to produce a CO2 value by measuring other proxy gases exhaled by humans:

CCS811 supports intelligent algorithms to process raw sensor measurements to output a TVOC value or equivalent CO2 (eCO2) levels, where the main cause of VOCs is from humans

There's a list of some of the real ones on Comparison and Experimentation with Flammable Gas Sensors: Gase Sensor Types.

kevinjwalters

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.