Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Stacking multiple hats via raspberry pi 3/4
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Stacking multiple hats via raspberry pi 3/4

by R_Henderson on Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:26 pm

I am trying to build a low cost flight data logger and I was wondering if you could stack the Adafruit Ultimate GPS Hat and the Raspberry Pi SenseHat using the extended (extra-long) header pins on one Raspberry Pi 3/4 to record and log all of the flight data. (GPS, ground speed, Temperature, Barometric pressure, Humidity, etc)

Thank you.

R_Henderson

Re: Stacking multiple hats via raspberry pi 3/4

by dastels on Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:13 pm

The GPS hat uses Tx/Rx which the Sensehat doesn't so that's ok. However both use pins 27 & 28 on the GPIO header (I2C bus) to access the onboard EEPROM chips that hold each board's identification info. Both boards use a CAT24C32 chip for this, and both have all three address pins grounded so they'll be at the same I2C address. This presents a problem.

I don't know off-hand how you would get around that, or if you even could.

Dave

dastels

by dastels on Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:19 pm

One alternative is to use the sensehat along with an Ultimate GPS breakout https://www.adafruit.com/product/746 which only uses Tx/Rx. The only challenge then would be to hijack those connections.

Going further, you could use the USB version of the breakout https://www.adafruit.com/product/4279 which plugs into one of the Pi's USB ports.

Dave

dastels

by R_Henderson on Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:57 pm

Thank you for your input.

I went with your second option, using the USB connection. It just arrived today. I will let you know how it goes.

A second USB breakout could be used to attach a second external temperature sensor to the raspberry pi/sense hat set-up, correct?

Thanks again for you help and input. It is greatly appreciated!
R

R_Henderson

by dastels on Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:30 pm

I assume a second USB breakout would work fine; it'll show up on a different tty device.

Dave

dastels

by R_Henderson on Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:00 pm

Awesome! Thanks!!

Another Adafruit purchase!! :)

Hopefully, I can combine all of the different input devices in to one python file.

R_Henderson

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.