CLUE with Kitronik Inventor's Kit

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kevinjwalters

CLUE with Kitronik Inventor's Kit

Post by kevinjwalters »

I bought a few Kitronik Inventor's Kits for the BBC micro:bit at BETT a few years ago. I still had one left which I'd opened up to use as its edge connector breakout is compatible with the Adafruit CLUE.

I've recently been playing around with emulating parts of the micro:bit through its microbit and music libraries to allow some MicroPython code to run without modification. This allows the Kitronik Inventor's Kit to be used with the CLUE with Kitronik's existing example code. I've also thrown in some different display modes including one which has a visualisation of what's going on with the GPIO.

This might be useful for anyone who already has CLUEs and wants to use the Inventor's kit. Or a mixed environment where a collection of micro:bits is supplemented with some CLUEs as this allows the same/existing MicroPython code to be used. A pure CircuitPython approach is likely to be a better choice for a CLUE-only environment.

It's described on Instructables: Using the Kitronik Inventor's Kit With the Adafruit CLUE and there's an accompanying video on YouTube: Adafruit CLUE running MicroPython code from Kitronik's Inventor's Kit Experiment 3 with Music. Some cropped video grabs from that video show the enhanced mode view below.
CLUE micro:bit emulation - scrolling some text - large C is the 5x5 LED emulation, full text shown below
CLUE micro:bit emulation - scrolling some text - large C is the 5x5 LED emulation, full text shown below
adafruit-clue-microbit-emulation-videograb1.jpg (124.28 KiB) Viewed 319 times
CLUE micro:bit emulation - P1 analogue input displayed
CLUE micro:bit emulation - P1 analogue input displayed
adafruit-clue-microbit-emulation-videograb2.jpg (123.09 KiB) Viewed 319 times
CLUE micro:bit emulation - P1 analogue input, P2 pwm output, P0 touch input, P4 music output displayed
CLUE micro:bit emulation - P1 analogue input, P2 pwm output, P0 touch input, P4 music output displayed
adafruit-clue-microbit-emulation-videograb3.jpg (124.8 KiB) Viewed 319 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”