Please note: Friday June 18 is a holiday celebrating Juneteenth, please allow extra time for your order to arrive and plan accordingly.

AIY Vision Kit
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

AIY Vision Kit

by dcsinventteam on Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:24 pm

Hello--

I have now ordered and dispersed 11 AIY Vision Kits to my students in this virtual learning environment. Out of the 11, three of the kits state that the "Camera Is not Enabled." The other (6) have not started using the full function of the vision kits and are currently focused on just rasberry pi and peripheral devices. We have followed the instructions to the letter located here: https://aiyprojects.withgoogle.com/vision. To be clear, 3 out of 5 of the vision kits we are using for the vision functionality have have the same error message "Camera is not enabled."

Separately, I have one Pi (with the vision kit) that gets really hot on startup and locks on the "Welcome to the Rasberry Pi Desktop" screen. Previously, it just turned off after startup but I reflashed it with the most recent version. I cannot interface with this Pi. It just freezes.

I historically have used arduino products with my students for years, and I'm relatively new with Pi. Can you make some suggestions that might cause this error? We have tried a troubleshooting from the Rasberry Pi Website, the AIY Website and Stack Overflow, to no avail.

dcsinventteam

Re: AIY Vision Kit

by iluddite on Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:42 pm

The camera ribbon can come detached from the board. Look at the small ribbon coming off the lens- press down on it to see if it clicks.

I had the very same problem a day ago and it took me hours to figure out.

iluddite

Re: AIY Vision Kit

by TuttenFrutten on Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:13 am

I agree with the respected iluddite, but the fact that one of the kits is heating up may indicate a malfunction of either the controller or the connector itself, and if it hangs with an inscription on the screen, then the matter is most likely in the controller. Can you try to reflash it?

TuttenFrutten

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.