Sharing Content - CircuitPython Bluefruit School

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gallaugher

Sharing Content - CircuitPython Bluefruit School

Post by gallaugher »

I’m teaching Physical Computing to Boston College undergrads starting this Fall.
I’ve created a series of YouTube video tutorials for my students as part of their intro to using the Circuit Playground Bluefruit and writing code that takes advantage of the Adafruit Bluefruit app.
https://BANNED/bluefruit-school
- CircuitPython and library setup
- connecting a NeoPixel LED strand
- adding code to respond to the Bluefruit app - change colors, animate LEDs, and continue the animations when user disconnects from the app. Included a code walk through to point out areas to modify code for your own builds
- and no-solder projects: a mason jar light, a sparkle infinity scarf, and an led necktie. The later two are fun to wear to class as examples to inspire students.

Feel free to share, and also to correct and comment if you see things to improve.

tl;dr
This is my first time teaching a full physical computing course. I’m designing the class from scratch. No prerequisites, this will be a first coding course for many, and am expecting an interdisciplinary group ranging from art students, comp. sci., social entrepreneurs, and biz students, among others.
We’ll be using three boards and components that I provide:
- Circuit Plauground Bluefruit and LED strips and strands
- Arduino Nano RP2040 Connect. Will breadboard a bit but also reply on three pin stemma qt to easily add sensors and peripherals. Board has WiFi to make time-based projects, and those that leverage APIs, IOT easier.
- Raspberry Pi 3 A+ with Crickit boards for robotics, etc.
will start with art and wearables - light, touch, sound, using all sensors on the CPB.
Next will move to the Nano. Creating some tech for good projects like a medicine reminder box that lights up up when it’s time to take BANNED.
Hoping to learn from AT Makers to build some accessible tech - cap touch, large buttons, etc. We run a school for children with severe developmental delays and I hope our students help build projects for those kids
Then will use the Raspberry Pi 3 A+ in simple app-controlled robotics and sound triggering with MQTT.

I have a bunch of videos on these projects on my YouTube channel https://youtube.com/profgallaugher and will share more builds. You are welcome to use with your students if useful. If you do, let me know. I love hearing from other educators. Thanks to all who have contributed Adafruit learn guides. I have learned so much from this content.
Cheers!
John
Attachments
F12AF040-B508-45EA-9DA0-E73473E4A3EA.jpeg
F12AF040-B508-45EA-9DA0-E73473E4A3EA.jpeg (622.58 KiB) Viewed 2511 times

Franklin97355

Re: Sharing Content - CircuitPython Bluefruit School

Post by Franklin97355 »

Thanks for posting you contribution. It looks very professional.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”