CCS811

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bradshawlupton

CCS811

Post by bradshawlupton »

Hi I am having an identical problem with two ccs811 I purchased under 2597268-1956242947 to work with my students for a clean air / energy project at the Sandwich MA STEM Academy Sandwich MA. I have them connected on circuit boards with ESP8266 D1 Weemos boards.

I am running the Marteen Pennings Github code, Both worked well for about a week, in a basement with 75% rH at about 68 F, and both started reporting an ADC of 1023 when I ran the debug code. This seems to indicate a problem with the resistor in the sensor.

May I either have a coding suggestion, or an RMA to replace the two units. We are very excited about this sensor with eCO2 and eVOC, I am using your DHT22 for the T and rH measurements.

this is the error, then the debug information, that seems to suggest the resistance is way too high.

CCS811 14g: errstat=899=--vhXmrwF--AD-iE

raw6=1 uA
raw10=1023 ADC
R=1649076 ohm

CCS811error.jpg
CCS811error.jpg (173.38 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
Happy to try anything to resolve this. I need to have a sensor that will run for my STEM kids reliably for a couple of years.

Thanks, Bradshaw

adafruit_support_carter

Re: CCS811

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Can you try it with the Adafruit library? Looks like you're using a Raspberry Pi, so see here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ccs ... cuitpython

Don't miss the link to install and setup Blinka:
https://learn.adafruit.com/circuitpytho ... rypi-linux

bradshawlupton

Post by bradshawlupton »

I tried this originally in the post viewtopic.php?f=19&t=180959

I just tried it again with the same failed to start results.

thanks.

adafruit_support_carter

That looks like it's with an ESP8266, not a Pi?

The CCS811 is known to be problematic, due to its clock stretching:
https://learn.adafruit.com/i2c-addresse ... some-chips
For use with a Pi (which really doesn't like clock stretching) you can try the suggested trick linked from there:
https://learn.adafruit.com/circuitpytho ... stretching

Are you using a Pi or an ESP8266? The screen shot above looks like a Pi is involved somehow?

bradshawlupton

Post by bradshawlupton »

I am running th arduino ice 1.8.15 on the raspberry pi 4 as I am doing my work remotely now, from 82 miles away.

the Adafruit CCS811 is running on the esp8266 D1 that is my desired IoT platform, 3.3v for the Adafruit CC811.

I run the raspberry Pi 4 using RealVNC on an odd port over Firewalla VPN, hoping for some added security. I monitor the network with another RPI 4 running TCPDUMP watching the router.

The Adafruit CCS811, both of them, identical set up, ran for about a week just fine before both topped out on the ADC which may indicate both boards failed. I did place an 8 oz glass of cranberry lime club soda near the pair of boards and got a nice eCO2 peak and eTVOC peak, that tailed off. I did that a couple of time to prove things working. I took some stick deodorant (ethanol) placed it near the pair, during the week they wore working and got just a eTVOC increase (a big one) both tables off reasonably.

Tha nks, Bradshaw. STEM advisor, retired IoT engineer, Physics and Chemistry teacher.

bradshawlupton

Post by bradshawlupton »

How may we decide if my two Adafruit CCs811, both reporting errors and ADC of 1023 need replacement.

I need an esp8266 solution with wifi upload and analysis on the school server.

I dont wish to use a different manufacturers CCS811, Adafruit has great product and support.

Thanks, Bradshaw

Hopefully we will be building 50-75 units for our school distributed through the library for students to go do sampling.

adafruit_support_carter

Oh, OK, I see what you're doing now. You're just using the Pi to remotely run the Arduino IDE and program the ESP8266.

What is the current behavior of the CCS811's if you run the test sketch from the CCS811 Arduino library?
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_CC ... 1_test.ino

Power cycling the setup may also be a good idea if possible.

bradshawlupton

Post by bradshawlupton »

I power cycle the raspberry pi, which is only and "installer" hourly, or at special times when it seems prudent.

I rsync the ~/Arduino regularly incase disaster strikes.

This is the result of the example code
2021-08-04_12-01-11 CCS811.example code.jpg
2021-08-04_12-01-11 CCS811.example code.jpg (397 KiB) Viewed 3094 times
https://github.com/maarten-pennings/CCS811 ran perfectly for a week, in a 70 F +/- 5 F, 75% rH basement. I gave it some cranberry lime soda water to let it have some eTVOC and eCO2 to sense several times and it worked beautifully.

I contacted Maarten several times and he helped me with the error codes, ADC reading, current reading and resistance reported.

Neither board was mistreated. I am an excellent solderer. I am very surprised that both board give the same error code of too high resistance. I strongly want to use use your Adafruit boards in my STEM projects.

May we please swap these two for new one? At your earliest convenience?

I tried this originally in the post viewtopic.php?f=19&t=180959

Which lead me to the GitHub and clock stretching, which worked for a week before both started showing a HIGH RESISTANCE value. Pictures of the layout are on the I tried this originally in the post viewtopic.php?f=19&t=180959 report.

adafruit_support_carter

We need to verify the current state of the hardware by going back to a known working example. To do that, need to power cycle everything (in case it's stuck in some weird state). Then, run the example from the library:
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_CC ... 1_test.ino

If you are only able to access this setup remotely, then ability to fully troubleshoot is very limited.

bradshawlupton

Post by bradshawlupton »

I retrieved the two CCS811, fand esp8266 D! , from Buzzards Bay, and they are next to me.

You asked me to test this same ino in a previous response, I tried it and it does not see the device. and the WDT goes off rebooting the esp8266. The screen shot is above. I have the latest libraries installed.

This Adafruit library does not work for me on either CCS811. I tried swapping the two boards, and rechecked the wiring multiple times. (the key is WAKE is grounded, then just SDA SCL V and GND, are attached, correctly).

The GitHub Maarten's code does work. It speaks to the Adafruit CCS811 and gets the error codes and displays them.

I enabled the debug code and it shows the current, ADC and resistance. The error code is too high resistance.

I feel/observe that both boards are not working. Please consider another suggestion, or let me return the boards for two from a different batch. these failed at nearly the same time, a week into operation. There have been no lighting strikes, The boards are both still I2C communicating, but saying the resistance is wrong and the ADC=1023 (which is too high, and the maximum for a 10bit ADC)

thank you, Bradshaw

adafruit_support_carter

Hmmm. OK, so seems like both libraries are possibly reporting the same thing. There's a checkError() command in the library that could be added to the sketch to get the error code. But the current example is very simple and just goes into a parking loop if anything happens when the sensor is init'd. That infinite loop is what is throwing the ESP's WDT.

Seems really odd that 2 of 2 would fail in the exact same way at the same time. You can't correlate that to anything?

bradshawlupton

Post by bradshawlupton »

I am the most honest about guilt engineer in the US. My conscience is clear on this. I have gone over everything. It did work. I didn't even overload it, just some flavored seltzer water, and stick deodorant to get eCO2 and eVTOK reading, not off the scale on either.

In my other posting, above I found the Adafruit library throwing failed to connect to the CCS811 from the esp8266.

In the earlier positing I put some debug in the .cpp to make sure that routines were called. They were.

I also checked with an i2c scan and see the 0x5A. so the wiring seems correct.

May we please RMA / swap these out. If the new ones fail, and we find I AM "guilty". I will buy the two new CCS811.

I have to get this going. I am 7 weeks into this.

The Keyes STUDIO 5 v model runs great on the arduino nano, with their libraries.

I wish, strongly, to use your Adafruit devices. Adafruit had done great magic for all of IoT. thanks!

adafruit_support_carter

OK, let's replace them and see what happens. If the replacements act up in the same way, we'll at least know something more.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you 2 replacement CCS811 sensor breakouts.

bradshawlupton

Post by bradshawlupton »

thank you.

bradshawlupton

Post by bradshawlupton »

Hi, it has been three weeks since I contacted support, and I have not received the two replacement CCs811 boards.

There does not seem to be telephone support.

How may I get the replacement boards. I am a teacher with a product to deliver to my students at my STEM school....

PLEASE resolve this! Im using cheap amazon knock offs in the interim. adafruits are more reliable.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”