Is there a way to simulate chips' power/energy with SPICE, e

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kwmaeng91

Is there a way to simulate chips' power/energy with SPICE, e

Post by kwmaeng91 »

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am designing a undergrad-level course that incorporates PCB design.

I want to know if there's a way to simulate power/energy characteristics of the components you sell?

If detailed SPICE models are given, I think you can do it in tools like Altium Designer. However, I don't think commercial products provide a detailed SPICE model (or do they?).

I wonder if, e.g., black-box models or something like that, is available for components in general so that at least power/energy characteristics can be simulated.

Or should I rely on parsing the datasheet for each component that I am considering?

Thank you for your help.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Is there a way to simulate chips' power/energy with SPIC

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

No, we don't have any SPICE models like that.

Energy/power models are some of the hardest to build. They have to contain all the parasitic terms and interactions that get left out of standard design documents. Building them is a process of running them and testing the results against the actual hardware over and over, adding and tuning terms over and over until the calculated results match the real ones. They're never really done because there are always new operating conditions and use cases that might not match any of the ones already tested.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”