Installing Sensorlab

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dgeers

Installing Sensorlab

Post by dgeers »

Dear people,

Hi. I'm teaching a course this spring to artists, where they will use the Feather Sense to turn data into art and music. It should be fun, and I'm now learning the Feather myself, after years of using old-fashioned Arduinos.

I'm reading through all the Feather docs, running demos, etc. My issues are primarily how to get good, stable motion/direction data. (Advice, links always appreciated!)

However today I wanted to install the Sensorlab library and encountered a problem. When I find the Adafruit Sensorlab in the Libraries Manager of Arduino IDE, a pop-up window listing the myriad dependencies appears. In fact, the list is so long that it seems to continue beyond the bottom of my screen. But it is impossible for me to scroll down to the "OK" button I assume is at the bottom. Hitting RETURN on my keyboard also does nothing.

Does anyone know how I can accept the dependencies and install the Sensorlab?

BTW, I am doing this without the Feather Sense connected. I assume that makes no difference but figured I'd mention it.

Thanks for any help!

Doug
Screenshot
Screenshot
dependencies.png (929 KiB) Viewed 1196 times

Franklin97355

Re: Installing Sensorlab

Post by Franklin97355 »

I'll see if I can get a solution.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

oof sorry about that! its reported here
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/10647
question: what if you hit 'return' while clicking on the window, does that do the right thign? if so we can update the documentation.

dgeers

Post by dgeers »

Hi and thanks for your reply. Hitting RETURN when the window appears does not work, unfortunately. That was one of the first things I tried.

Doug

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

ok i dont actually have a mac near me, if you try to just install say "Adafruit SSD1306" can you take a screenshot of the library prompt window, like maybe we have to tab to the OK button? :/

dgeers

Post by dgeers »

Hi. OK, I installed (updated) "Adafruit SSD1306" as suggested with no problem. Since that is one simple library, it worked easily. There was no pop-up window requesting me to confirm dependent libraries, as with the Sensor lab package. And so I'm not attaching a screenshot, because there was nothing unusual to see.

My problem is that the Adafruit sensor lab package has so many constituent items in its dependent library list. It seems that (on Macintosh, at least) the dialog window listing all the library dependencies of the Sensorlab does not have the ability to scroll. And it does not default to expect a RETURN from the keyboard to confirm and load the package, which means I have no way to proceed. I tried to tab and hit RETURN multiple times in case the initial location wasn't correct, but this also did not work.

And since the bug report to the Arduino Github is from August, 2020, I guess I should not wait for the Arduino folks to fix this prior to my class starting at the end of January. https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/10647

Is there any workaround I could hack into place? For instance, could I either (1) download a ZIP of the Sensor lab files and install them manually, or (2) get a list of all the individual libraries of the Sensor lab and install them one at a time?

As I mentioned in my first message, I'm teaching a class using the Feather Sense beginning later this month. My goal is to incorporate Sensor Lab code to make data more powerful and dependable for student use .

Many thanks,

Doug

dgeers

Post by dgeers »

Dear all,

Sorry for my naivete, but it only just now occurred to me that maybe all I need to do is download the Sensor Lab files from Github, copy them into the Arduino "Libraries" folder, and then reboot the Arduino IDE!

I have done so, and it seems that Sensor Lab is installed and happy.

Many thanks to everyone who has responded to my confusion.

Best wishes,

Doug

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Thanks Doug, I was as confused as you were when you posted and I'm glad you found a solution.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”