High School Project

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Edward216

High School Project

Post by Edward216 »

I have a group of students working on a engineering design project. Their project is an automatic ketchup dispenser for concession stands at a ball game. This device will attach to an existing hand pump ketch up dispenser you would buy at like Costco.
They have a prototype created from VEXbot parts that works off a motion sensor pretty decently. I'd like them to use an Arduino based system for their next prototype. What parts would you spec out for a stepper motor type controller. I have a four pin stepper motor from a 3D printer but I'm thinking this would need a controller shield for higher current, of course an micro controller and a motion sensor.
What components would you spec and what tutorials could I point them towards for controlling this motor from a motion sensor? Or if a different motor like a servo would be a better route what motor would you spec?
Thanks! ~Ed

adafruit_support_bill

Re: High School Project

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I'd start by identifying the physical requirements such as the length of stroke and pressure required to dispense the ketchup. From there you can determine what kind of motor will be capable of that.

Most 3D printer steppers are designed for use with current-limiting 'chopper' type drivers. We have the DRV8833, although it is limited to about 10v. www.pololu.com carries a wider selection.

If you have other parts from the printer, you probably have the additional components needed to get linear motion from your stepper. If not, you might want to consider a servo, since the linkage can be pretty simple.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”