Defective Battery Holders

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mrs_peters

Defective Battery Holders

Post by mrs_peters »

Earlier this school year my district purchased ten of your 4xAA battery holders with on/off switches (PN 830) for my physics classes. We just used them this week for the first time, and there appears to be a defect. The positive (red) wires pop off with normal handling. It appears from the technical drawings that the red wire is supposed to go around a post inside the case for strain relief, however in the units we have the red wire comes straight off the solder joint (which is very small) and so it doesn't take much wiggling to get them to pop off. They are heat sealed, so there is no easy way to open and fix them without damaging them. Is it possible to get these replaced? Thanks!

Mrs. Peters
NGSS/AP Physics Teacher

Franklin97355

Re: Defective Battery Holders

Post by Franklin97355 »

I'll check with supply. Could you post a picture of one of the offending holders and, if possible, the package tag? Do you have the order number just in case? If you have any that are still working you can reinforce them with tape or hotmelt especially with much use.

mrs_peters

Post by mrs_peters »

Here is a picture of one of the holders.
22-01-21 09-41-29 2901.jpg
22-01-21 09-41-29 2901.jpg (134.23 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
I had to strip the end of the red wires so they could be poked in between the positive terminal of the battery and case so we could finish the lab. The order number is #2672262-6829788832.

mrs_peters

Post by mrs_peters »

franklin97355 wrote:I'll check with supply. Could you post a picture of one of the offending holders and, if possible, the package tag? Do you have the order number just in case? If you have any that are still working you can reinforce them with tape or hotmelt especially with much use.
Here is a picture of one of the holders.
22-01-21 09-41-29 2901.jpg
22-01-21 09-41-29 2901.jpg (134.23 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
I had to strip the end of the red wires so they could be poked in between the positive terminal of the battery and case so we could finish the lab. The order number is #2672262-6829788832.

mrs_peters

Post by mrs_peters »

franklin97355 wrote:I'll check with supply. Could you post a picture of one of the offending holders and, if possible, the package tag? Do you have the order number just in case? If you have any that are still working you can reinforce them with tape or hotmelt especially with much use.
Any updates on this? I have another lab coming up that will need power supplies, so I would like to figure something out that doesn't require a lot of hot glue and duct tape.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I'll send an email again. What are your students' age and what are you powering with it? Perhaps we can come up with a better solution.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hi, we dont have any other versions of this battery holder that are different at this time. please email support@adafruit for a refund!

mrs_peters

Post by mrs_peters »

franklin97355 wrote:I'll send an email again. What are your students' age and what are you powering with it? Perhaps we can come up with a better solution.
This is high school (juniors and seniors) physics and AP physics. They are using breadboards and primarily doing simple circuits (resistors, LEDs and the like.)

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I looked and there doesn't seem to be any others that look more robust. Some of them are repairable and you have the option of supporting the wires but the pickings are slim. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=4+battery+ho ... ixgsfjq5_b

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”