Disappearing Adafruit Feather Sense

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dgeers

Disappearing Adafruit Feather Sense

Post by dgeers »

Dear all,

Hi. I'm currently teaching a university class for artists and musicians using the Adafruit Feather Sense. Being artsy types, we are all using Mac laptops.

We are programming our Feathers using the Arduino IDE ver. 1.8.19.

We have found that after we set up the Feather Sense and upload code, the Feather disappears from the serial port. After that happens, we have to double-click the reset button and enter the bootloader every subsequent time we want to upload new code.

We have tried rebooting the IDE and disconnecting and reconnecting the Feather, and changing ports on the laptops. But none of these actions will make the Feather Sense re-appear to the Arduino IDE.

Is there some fix for this? The bootloader mode workaround is better than nothing, but it would be great if the Feather Sense would simply remain visible to the IDE.

Thanks much,

Doug

mikeysklar

Re: Disappearing Adafruit Feather Sense

Post by mikeysklar »

Which version of the bootloader are you running? There is a 0.6.3 release available.

https://circuitpython.org/board/feather ... uit_sense/

Have you tried running the blink example to see if that simple code can manage an automatic upload through the Arduino IDE?

dgeers

Post by dgeers »

Thanks for the ideas!

I didn't purchase my Feather until December and I set it up around Dec 30th. And so I assume that the bootloader I have is already the new one, which was dated Dec 14 in Github, I think.

One thing I did notice is that if I keep the serial monitor window open while using the IDE, the Feather remains visible to it after I upload code revisions. Odd...

Doug

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Doug,

When in bootloader mode you can check the file INFO_UF2.TXT on the mounted drive probably called something like FEATHERBOOT.

The latest is 0.6.3 (12/14/21) as you suggested, but I suspect you might be back a version if you purchased in December.

Interesting observation about the serial port console staying open seems to keep the serial device visible after upload.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”