Giveaway Items

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Bigwillt

Giveaway Items

Post by Bigwillt »

The community college I work at is hosting middle school and high school students for a STEM camp this summer and we are looking for something that we could give to the students to take home afterwards. Some staff members have mentioned robot kits but most of those are either too expensive or more for elementary students from what I have seen.

Many of the local schools have gone to Chromebooks as the computers that are assigned to students, and that may be the only computer they have to use. We don't know that they will have access to anything that they could use to program a Circuit Playground, or to connect to an RPi, or anything like that. We considered a MagTag or something like that even though they wouldn't be able to reprogram them at home.

Is there anything in the $50 range that we could get that they could program in the camp and then take home and program using a Chromebook or a smart phone or anything like that? The budget may change as I am sure those of you in education are familiar with.

rpiloverbd

Re: Giveaway Items

Post by rpiloverbd »

I think this type of Arduino Starter kit will be good. https://www.walmart.com/ip/ELEGOO-UNO-P ... /622886356

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

The circuit playground would be able to program with a Chromebook. do they have wifi at home or a community center?

Bigwillt

Post by Bigwillt »

Most of them should have at least basic access to Wi-Fi since that is how they are doing homework or at least I would think so. Many of the local schools have also made Wi-Fi available outside for neighborhood kids and families, since the pandemic started.

Would they need anything special to make it work or are you thinking about using SSH or something? That would probably work but we would have to make sure it was set up before they took them home.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

The Circuit Playground Express seems like a good choice for students on Chromebooks.

Bigwillt

Post by Bigwillt »

Thanks. I will look into this with our project lead.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”