There is no USPS pickup on Monday Feb 15th, 2016 because of President's Day. USPS orders placed after 11am EST Fri February 12th will go out Tuesday February 16. UPS orders will ship as normal.

looking for a textbook for a new class
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

looking for a textbook for a new class

by jerryc on Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:47 pm

I have been teaching a microcontroller class using the Basic Stamp for several semesters, and would like to re-create the class using the Arduino system.
Can you suggest a college level text book? I have found many project books and files, but am still looking for a classroom style of textbook.

Thanks!!!

jerryc

Re: looking for a textbook for a new class

by matboy16 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:30 pm

I took a class in in college that used the Arduino and we used a book called "Arduino Cookbook". http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596802486.do
Hope this helps

matboy16

by ScienceRules on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Matboy

Thank you for your post.

I am also looking for a book to use with my students.

A couple of quick questions.

Do you still find the book useful to you as a reference?

Was the book understandable to a beginner?

Thank you

Ed
ScienceRules

by matboy16 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:55 pm

The book helped me learn a great deal and the book is also a great reference for Arduino projects. I would recommend this book for people learning the Aduino micro controller . Also, Before requiring your students to buy the book, you should read it to see if you like it. If you havent looked at it yet, there is a lot of good tutorials on the Adafruit Learning System.

Hope this helps.

matboy16

by ScienceRules on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:45 am

I really like the Adafruit tutorials and I use them. Sometimes though, the tutorials skip over some important information that "everyone knows". As a high school teacher, I have learned that if you start assuming even a minimum of knowledge, you can loose your students in a dense fog.

Yesterday I found this free downloadable book: ASKManualRev5.pdf

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw_ruMO ... edit?pli=1

From what I have read, I like the explanations of code commands and how they work.

The pdf states that you are free to use and distribute the book for non-commercial uses as long as it is not modified.

Ed
ScienceRules

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.