Library Tech Space Advice

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
awildenberg

Library Tech Space Advice

Post by awildenberg »

I'm a CS educator, and try to work a lot of simple electronics in amongst the more traditional programming topics. I've been approached by our new public library to help them try and purchase some "Arduino Stuff" for their teen room. The idea is that the kits could be used in workshops held in the room, and/or individual motivated students could try and do their own projects. But sort of the key issue is that most of the time the kits will be used by students without supervision with a lot of technical skills.

They are proposing just starting out with a few "Arduino starter kits." So UNO + baby breadboard + basic components + a book of projects. But there are a lot out there (including on Adafruit). Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with any of them under these sorts of conditions? Is there a better solution?

I've read this post already: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=44499 But I'm asking separately because I think this is a more limited question (what starter kits are the best), it's a slightly different market (little technical supervision), and because at the rate that this stuff is changing the answer could be different than it was 6 months ago.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Library Tech Space Advice

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

For that environment, I think that the ARDX experimentors kits would be the best match. The kit parts are exactly matched to the lesson book, so they should be able to work through all the lessons without having to stop and order parts. The Arduino starter kit is another one to consider, but some of the lesson/project parts are 'consumable'. So the second or third user of the kit wouldn't get quite the same experience.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”