Dog Heart Rate Monitor

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ilyena1990

Dog Heart Rate Monitor

Post by ilyena1990 »

Hi Everyone,

Q: I'm looking to build a dog heart rate monitor (within a harness). Would using one of these be possible? https://www.adafruit.com/products/1077

Further Info: - Dogs have fur so would this pick up the heart rate through fur? And while the dog is moving?

Thank-you for any helpful answers in advance,

Ilyena

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Dog Heart Rate Monitor

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That will not work through fur. It needs electrical contact with skin to operate.

This optical sensor might be a better choice: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1093
This is a small sensor that detects light reflected from the blood just beneath the skin. It works best where the blood vessels are close to the surface. You could probably get it to work on a dog's ear - if the dog will tolerate it.

ilyena1990

Post by ilyena1990 »

Hey there,

Firstly, thank-you for your speedy reply :) Much appreciated.

So if I hook this up with an Arduino clipped to my dogs ear it would record the heart rate? How would it record it/visualise it? I tried to look on the link but it doesn't say. Would I need an LCD screen or a wireless adapter to allow it to transmit data to a pc?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Scroll down to the "Technical Details" under the product description. There are several links to instructions and a video.

There are several options for transmitting data to the PC. What kind of range do you require?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”