Beginning Arduino and Programming

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ChaosintheLibrary

Beginning Arduino and Programming

Post by ChaosintheLibrary »

We are just beginning our Library Maker Space for Teens, and we do not have programming/science/tech experience AT ALL. I'm looking at the Starter Pack for Arduino to teach myself before getting started with the kids. My question is what kind of computer I need to do the programming for this. I've seen some questions regarding Chromebooks, but would iPads work? What is the best way to proceed with this? As an aside, most of the kids have no experience with this sort of thing either.

Thanks in advance for answering such a newbie question.

Franklin97355

Re: Beginning Arduino and Programming

Post by Franklin97355 »

The Arduino program uses Java so you would need a computer that supports that if you run the program locally. There are versions that run on windows, mac and Linux. There are also web based programmers that might work but you still need a USB connection to communicate with the Arduino and some devices do not support that. Others may have more detailed info and answer in more detail.

ChaosintheLibrary

Re: Beginning Arduino and Programming

Post by ChaosintheLibrary »

So for example, I could use a USB adapter on an iPad and use Coderunner or something similar to program the Arduino, as long as it ran Java? Am I getting the basic idea of this?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”