LED Charlieplexed

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
seulaterbuddy

LED Charlieplexed

Post by seulaterbuddy »

Our company is hosting a class for H.S. to learn electronics. We are planning on using your LED Charlieplexed, but I have 2 problems.
#1) they are out of stock
#2) we are looking to purchase 500 of them are are looking for a qty discount.

I would like to know when they will be in stock, and how to get a volume discount.

Franklin97355

Re: LED Charlieplexed

Post by Franklin97355 »

Which product are you referencing? The discount price is listed on the product page.

seulaterbuddy

Post by seulaterbuddy »

PRODUCT ID: 2972
It does not list and qty discount.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

The pricing structure will be listed when they are in stock.

seulaterbuddy

Post by seulaterbuddy »

I need to know when they will be in stock, and what the pricing will be @ 100pcs

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

No ETA for when they're be back in stock at this time, please be sure to sign up to be notified when in stock, they're $6.95 each and at 100 qty they are $5.56 each.

seulaterbuddy

Post by seulaterbuddy »

I don't want to sound rude, but every company that orders something knows the ETA. Can you actually find out. We have classes starting in June and we need these before then to create the enclosures for them and the criteria for the classes. I need a real answer, you can PM me if you dont want it public.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

We do not order these we make them and that depends on the production schedule of the other products in the pipeline. the availability of supplies and in some cases the weather. We do not estimate a supply time because we can not guarantee it. If you need a product like this at a specific time and in a specific quantity you need to find a manufacturer that can do that for you.

seulaterbuddy

Post by seulaterbuddy »

This is the second time I ran into this with you guys. Both times now you have dodged the question.
I will be going with something else, but before I go I just wanted to say the following.

No company runs without a schedule. Whether you make them yourselves or you have them made outside you are still going to be ordering something, and that takes planning. One does not wake up one day and say I think today I will make those LED Charlieplexed boards.

Why this company chooses to not answer simple questions, or even provide a realistic answer like, according to our schedule we are looking to make 500 of these sometime in May, but this may change due to other situations.

Disciple

Post by Disciple »

As a n00b speaking in defense of Adafruit,
I'm awaiting an out-of-stock part from Digi-Key, a specialty item, and they post an estimate with its disclaimer. But that estimate has slipped considerably, and they currently predict a two-week wait for me, just as they did a month and a half ago. I'm sure Digi-Key is giving the most truthful estimate available, but it seems that a more truthful answer would be, "We don't know." Does anyone?
So I, for one, can't fault Adafruit for opting for the more truthful answer.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

seulaterbuddy

Post by seulaterbuddy »

Disciple wrote:As a n00b speaking in defense of Adafruit,
I'm awaiting an out-of-stock part from Digi-Key, a specialty item, and they post an estimate with its disclaimer. But that estimate has slipped considerably, and they currently predict a two-week wait for me, just as they did a month and a half ago. I'm sure Digi-Key is giving the most truthful estimate available, but it seems that a more truthful answer would be, "We don't know." Does anyone?
So I, for one, can't fault Adafruit for opting for the more truthful answer.

Hallelujah!
Disciple
I hear you, but you are not comparing apple to apples. DK buys its stock from many manuf, which they are at the mercy of when that particular manuf. will ship products.
They also carry millions of stocked items. There is no way DK is going to keep calling each manuf. that is out of stock to just keep updating the information.

Whereas AF, is making this board. So its a simple matter of 3 things. buying the leds, getting the circuit board, and loading into the pick & place machine. It is VERY easy for them to know when they will have this board in stock.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Check out Mikes answer to this post. http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=93461

seulaterbuddy

Post by seulaterbuddy »

franklin97355 wrote:Check out Mikes answer to this post. http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=93461
I have a clearer way to wrap up my point. Say ladyada walks in your office and asks you " when will we have the LED Charlieplexed boards back in stock? "
Are you going to answer her with:

#1) " that depends on the production schedule of the other products in the pipeline. "
#2) "No ETA for when they're be back in stock at this time, please be sure to sign up to be notified when in stock,"

Of course not. The same goes for any other company. They know exactly when they plan to make them or if there are any shortages of parts, and how many they plan to make.

I am only raising a stink here because it seems (IMHO) they think to many of us don't have a clue how to manufacture something, and what all is involved with that process, so I was not happy with the lazy answers in which they did not take the time to actually find out. The answer is there, someone knows but no one cared to find out. No biggie for me, I have decided to make the thing myself.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Say ladyada walks in your office and asks you " when will we have the LED Charlieplexed boards back in stock?
Not that she would but my answer would probably be " We don't have all the supplies and our suppliers don't have a firm date for delivery. When we have the parts we will get them in the fab chain as soon as a spot opens up.

seulaterbuddy

Post by seulaterbuddy »

franklin97355 wrote:
Say ladyada walks in your office and asks you " when will we have the LED Charlieplexed boards back in stock?
Not that she would but my answer would probably be " We don't have all the supplies and our suppliers don't have a firm date for delivery. When we have the parts we will get them in the fab chain as soon as a spot opens up.
That is acceptable, and should have just been told that to answer my question.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”