Adafruit Industries, Essential service and business: NYC – Executive Order 202.6 - Read more.

BBB Standalone mode: desktop doesn't appear
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

BBB Standalone mode: desktop doesn't appear

by rstephe on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:43 pm

Just bought your BeagleBone Black - Element 14 (Debian) version. It works fine in PC-attached mode, but I need to run it standalone with an HDMI monitor. I followed the instructions on the Quick Start Guide insert, connecting ps, kbd and mouse as well as the HDMI monitor. After booting up, the penguin appeared briefly, then a white screen with the mouse cursor, and that was it. No desktop appeared. The LEDs User 0 (heartbeat), User 2 (kernel activity) and User3 (eMMC access) flash as expected. So what's wrong here?

For starters, is this a hardware problem, is there a step missing for the Debian version in the instruction, and/or a software mis-configuration? Is it worth updating the image version (currently BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2015-11-12), or is the problem elsewhere? If there is a hardware pb, does updating the image version void the warranty?

rstephe

Re: BBB Standalone mode: desktop doesn't appear

by rstephe on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:09 am

Hello, could someone please reply to these QQ?

P.S. a cursory look through the syslog and Xorg.0.log doesn't show any smoking guns to me, FWIW.

rstephe

by drewfustini on Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:37 am

Sorry to hear about the trouble. It is OK to update the image on the internal storage (eMMC) or boot from an image on a microSD card. The warranty will not be affected.

I would suggest trying the latest Debian image on:
http://beagleboard.org/latest-images

I would recommend trying Debian 8 (Jessie) first:
Debian 8.4 2016-05-13 4GB SD LXQT image

If that doesn't work, then try the Debian 7 (Wheezy):
Debian 7.11 2015-06-15 4GB SD LXDE

drewfustini

by rstephe on Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:44 pm

Thanks, Drew, on the third attempt, Debian 8.4 is working. Amazing how, with all the documentation, there are still a lot of things that remain unsaid, or at least unclear. It's like a recipt where they say "add two eggs" but never tell you to remove the shells first!

rstephe

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.