BBB Stopped Booting
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

BBB Stopped Booting

by kschiesser on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:58 pm

Hello,

My Beaglebone Black stopped booting. Applying power from both USB or an external 5V source will cause the power LED to blink once, but none of the user LEDs turn on. I've tried to boot from an SD card with no success. I have also tried probing the serial headers, but no data is coming over. Are there any further troubleshooting steps that you recommend?

Thanks much,
Kevin

kschiesser

Re: BBB Stopped Booting

by drewfustini on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:44 pm

Does the Power LED turn?

When booting from MicroSD have you help down the "user boot" button near the microSD card?

How did you probe the serial port? Did you use an FTDI cable?

drewfustini

by kschiesser on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi drewfustini,

The power LED does blink on briefly after connecting power or holding down the power button for 8s. I've tried booting from SD with and without holding down the boot button. I'm probing the serial console using a Bus Pirate in UART mode.

kschiesser

by drewfustini on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:14 am

Unfortunately, the behavior seems to be a hardware failure to due to a short:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/beagleb ... ZiLC9WN5wJ

RMA (Return Merchandise Application) would usually be the next step:
http://beagleboard.org/Support/RMA

Did you purchase the BeagleBone from Adafruit?

drewfustini

by kschiesser on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:36 am

Thanks for the link drewfustini. I did purchase the board from Adafruit. I was directed to these forums after initiating the RMA process to seek technical support. Are you able to authorize a replacement?

For future readers this link to the BBB wiki was quite helpful: http://www.elinux.org/Beagleboard:Beagl ... k#Hardware

Improper Power Down....All Revisions

We have been noticing a very small number of boards that are experiencing power issues, where the LED flashes and the board does not power up. We have been chasing this for a while now and due to the small number of boards that have the issue and the fact that the issue can also be caused by having things connected to IO pins not powered correctly, it has been hard to nail down. Our initial take was that it was a manufacturing issue on some boards, but we could never prove that. Based on the latest information we have gathered, this appears to be an instance where the PMIC does not power down the processor in the right order due to the violent removal of the power cables, either USB or DC. So, we are recommending that the power button be used to power off the board or by issuing the Halt command. After that you can remove the power cable. If everyone follows this process, we should see a decrease in these issues, but it will take a while for the results, either good or bad, to show up. This will also help prevent the contamination of the eMMC and the SD cards by allowing the kernel to shutdown properly before power is removed.

Another issue that we have seen is that the power supply when plugged in will create a spike that exceeds the voltage rating of the PMIC or will cause the voltage to drop momentarily. This can occur after power up cycle has started. When this occurs, the PMIC will shutdown. This can cause the processor to be powered down before it is powered all the way up, damaging the processor. It is suggested that to prevent this that you use a well regulated power supply that can handle the current surge of the powering up process.

kschiesser

by drewfustini on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:02 am

kschiesser wrote:Thanks for the link drewfustini. I did purchase the board from Adafruit. I was directed to these forums after initiating the RMA process to seek technical support. Are you able to authorize a replacement?

I'll followup with the customer support team.

drewfustini

by AndrewLaird on Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:15 pm

Hello,
I have the same issue, I purchased the Beagle Bone Black through Adafruit and the power led only flashes on startup no matter what is used to power the Beagle Bone. Are you able to authorize a replacement for me?

Thank you,
Andrew

AndrewLaird

by drewfustini on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:35 am

Sorry to hear that. Please email support@adafruit.com about a replacement. Please include the order number in your email.

drewfustini

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.