BBB boots once, but not again
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

BBB boots once, but not again

by rsfairman on Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:02 pm

Yesterday I flashed debian jessie (from beaglebone.org) to the BBB, and it seemed to be fine. I removed the SD card, it booted properly, and I did "sudo shutdown -h now". Today, it refused to boot. I gave it power, the four LEDs flashed in various patterns, and eventually the HDMI monitor I have hooked up showed nothing but a black screen with a single underscore cursor blinking in the top left corner. Meanwhile a single LED ('0' if I can read it; the one closest to the edge of the board) beats in a "heartbeat" pattern: bump, bump, pause, bump, bump, etc.

Thinking maybe I did some random stupid thing I forgot about, I put the sd card back in and let it flash to eMMC again. After a few minutes, it was done and the BBB powered itself down. I hooked the monitor, keyboard and mouse back up, gave it power and it booted fine and seemed to work. This time I shutdown using the menu on the desktop. When I restarted, I got the same behavior as before: nothing but a flashing cursor in the corner of the monitor. Thinking it might be some weird USB issue, I tried booting with nothing connected but the monitor. Same thing. Also, after letting it sit for maybe ten minutes, the monitor reports "no signal" (with no cursor or anything).

This is not the first BBB to have this problem. See
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=109705
There were no replies in that case, so it's not clear if a solution was found.

I did do one last experiment, with an odd result. I booted the BBB with nothing connected to it other than power. After a few minutes, when I figured it might have booted, I hooked up the HDMI monitor, and there is still nothing but a blinking cursor, but the cursor is not at the top left corner; it is maybe 20 characters in from the left edge (i.e., 20 cursor widths in), still along the top. As before, after 10 minutes or, so the monitor reports "no signal."

rsfairman

Re: BBB boots once, but not again

by rsfairman on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Still, not working, but I did another experiment. I flashed the BBB again, and booted, just like before, and it still works up to that point. This time though, I let the BBB turned on for maybe 45 minutes after I booted it from eMMC on the off chance that there might be some kind of script it runs the first time it is booted. Then I rebooted (from the desktop menu) instead of doing a full shutdown, removing power, and then giving it power. The behavior was the same, even with reboot instead of a full shutdown.

rsfairman

by drewfustini on Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:48 am

Sorry to hear you're having this issue.

Which image did you download from https://beagleboard.org/latest-images ?

Could you paste the exact download link? I'll try it too.

Which model BeagleBone do you have? The most recent BeagleBone Black is Rev C which has a 4GB eMMC.

I'm also curious if you have tried booting from microSD. Holding the boot button at power on should force the BeagleBone to boot from microSD regardless of what is on the eMMC.

drewfustini

by rsfairman on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:26 am

I'm not sure how to post an "exact link" to what I downloaded, but it's the first item shown on the page. If you click on it, you will download bone-debian-8.6-lxqt-4gb-armhf-2016-11-06-4gb.img.

The box that the BBB came in is labeled Rev C, but I notice that on the board itself, on the back, opposite the power barrel, it says "PCB RevB6" in raised letters. Maybe the revision number off the board means something different.

Yes, it boots off the SD card. If I wanted to, I could use it by booting off the SD card every time.

Thanks for looking at this.

rsfairman

by drewfustini on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:06 am

rsfairman wrote:I'm not sure how to post an "exact link" to what I downloaded, but it's the first item shown on the page. If you click on it, you will download bone-debian-8.6-lxqt-4gb-armhf-2016-11-06-4gb.img.

Thanks. Yeah, that is what I was interested to know.

Are you turning the image into a flasher with the instructions on that page?

"To turn these images into eMMC flasher images, edit the /boot/uEnv.txt file on the Linux partition on the microSD card and remove the '#' on the line with 'cmdline=init=/opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/init-eMMC-flasher-v3.sh'. Enabling this will cause booting the microSD card to flash the eMMC"

rsfairman wrote:The box that the BBB came in is labeled Rev C, but I notice that on the board itself, on the back, opposite the power barrel, it says "PCB RevB6" in raised letters. Maybe the revision number off the board means something different.

OK. Rev C is what I was expecting on the box. Rev C came out about 2 years ago when the eMMC went from 4GB to 2GB to accommodate Debian, versus the older Angstrom installation.

Could you please try to use the latest Debian Jessie image? There is a flasher specific image to download:

Flasher: (lxqt-4gb) (All BeagleBone Variants with a 4GB eMMC)

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
wget https://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-01-30/lxqt-4gb/BBB-blank-debian-8.7-lxqt-4gb-armhf-2017-01-30-4gb.img.xz

Finally, the person that creates these Debian images is Robert C Nelson. He reads the official BeagleBoard.org mailing list so you may want to ask there as well:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/beagleboard

drewfustini

by rsfairman on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Success! I flashed the image you pointed to and it works. I've booted, rebooted, shutdown, etc. several times now.

That said I'm still mystified as to what could have been the problem before since it would boot once, but not a second time. It's also irritating that the page you pointed to says -- at the very top -- to go to the page I went to earlier for the "latest image." Apparently, it is not the latest. Somebody in beagle-land needs to straighten that out.

Thanks for finding a solution. This uncertainty was putting a real crimp in things since it was unclear whether I could really trust the BBB for the system I'm building.

Again, thank you.

rsfairman

by drewfustini on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Good to hear it worked out and thanks for the feedback.

I'll raise the flashing issue with Robert C. Nelson who creates the images. I think you're experience is a good reason that the flasher images should be listed on BeagleBonard.org Latest Images, and not just on that eLinux wiki page.

drewfustini

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.