Problems with BBGW I2D 16 Channel Servo Driver
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Problems with BBGW I2D 16 Channel Servo Driver

by 3DRoboGuy on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi,
Totally new to the BB range of SBCs. Have worked with Atmel Megas for years but Linux and BBs are still pretty arcane to me - although I'm learning...

I'm making a 40cm R2D2 with my 3D Printer and a BeagleBone Green Wireless.

I have 75% of the R2 unit printed and assembled complete with all sorts of gizmos that now need the be interfaced to the BBGW.

I also have an Adafruit 16-channel 12-bit I2C PWM Servo Driver to drive some of the servos. Whilst I have GPIO and PWM pretty well sussed out I'm struggling with the finer points of accessing the Servo Driver board via I2C. The I2C bus (bus 2 on a BBGW) is fine and I can detect the board and dump its contents to the screen etc, via terminal.
I have the all the necessary Adafruit / Python libraries / packages installed and seemingly working.

What I am totally stuck with (bearing in mind even the necessary phraseology is new to me) is how to access the board via Python - like setting Servo 0 to work / move... (No problem at all with PWM, via say, P9_22 but with the I2C and Adafruit libraries - I'm totally in the dark - or so it seems ! )
I've tried to follow many different examples but... I just don't 'get' it. Is there someone who's willing to drop me a few lines of example Python script - simply to configure the board and write something to a servo / make a servo move... I'll figure out the rest but I really do need a heads up / bunk up here please ? !

The BBGW is running headless (Mac ssh / terminal) with Debian-Jessie.
Maybe I've simply missed the obvious(?) tutorial for the BB / 16Ch Servo Driver but... I really could use some help, please ?

Many thanks.

3DRoboGuy

Re: Problems with BBGW I2D 16 Channel Servo Driver

by drewfustini on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:40 am

You should be able to use:

Adafruit Python PCA9685
Python code to use the PCA9685 PWM servo/LED controller with a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone black.

drewfustini

by drewfustini on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:46 am

The I2C2 bus uses pins P9.19 (I2C2_SCL) and P9.20 (I2C2_SDA).

This command will show what I2C devices are connected:
sudo i2cdetect -y -r 2

drewfustini

by drewfustini on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:14 am

You'll need make this 2 line change to use busnum=2:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
debian@beaglebone:~/Adafruit_Python_PCA9685/examples$ git diff
diff --git a/examples/simpletest.py b/examples/simpletest.py
index 92b6b6d..18e2794 100644
--- a/examples/simpletest.py
+++ b/examples/simpletest.py
@@ -14,10 +14,10 @@ import Adafruit_PCA9685
 #logging.basicConfig(level=logging.DEBUG)

# Initialise the PCA9685 using the default address (0x40).
-pwm = Adafruit_PCA9685.PCA9685()
+#pwm = Adafruit_PCA9685.PCA9685()

# Alternatively specify a different address and/or bus:
-#pwm = Adafruit_PCA9685.PCA9685(address=0x41, busnum=2)
+pwm = Adafruit_PCA9685.PCA9685(address=0x41, busnum=2)

# Configure min and max servo pulse lengths
 servo_min = 150  # Min pulse length out of 4096

drewfustini

by 3DRoboGuy on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:55 am

Hey, hey, hey ! Superb !

Fantastic ! Thank you - it was a link to the library that I was missing. Thanks a million !
Downloaded and installed the library (Adafruit_PCA9685) and was up and running with multiple servos in less than 15 minutes. Again, thank you for both the 'heads up' to the library link and the example. Neat !

I have two questions, if I may ?
-1- When I "i2cdetect - r 2" (I'm using the 2nd I2C bus on my BBGW-BeagleBone Green Wireless) it reports I2C responses from *both* address 0x40 *and* 0x70. I tried both addresses with my test script (individually) and both seem (to me with a very cursory test) to produce the same results ? Why TWO addresses please ? How would I disable / inhibit one of them (0x70) should I want / need to ?
-2- More general; where would I find the Adafruit libraries on my BBGW please ?

Like I say, I'm new the BBs and Linux but I'm definitely 'getting there' !

Again, thanks a million. Much appreciated.
Trax

3DRoboGuy

by drewfustini on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:54 pm

3DRoboGuy wrote:Hey, hey, hey ! Superb !
-1- When I "i2cdetect - r 2" (I'm using the 2nd I2C bus on my BBGW-BeagleBone Green Wireless) it reports I2C responses from *both* address 0x40 *and* 0x70. I tried both addresses with my test script (individually) and both seem (to me with a very cursory test) to produce the same results ? Why TWO addresses please ? How would I disable / inhibit one of them (0x70) should I want / need to ?

The PCA9685 does have a selectable i2c address between 0x40-0x7F (selectable with solder jumpers). That does sound a bit unusual for there two be two addresses on the bus. Please post the output of i2detect and a photo of the wiring if possible.

3DRoboGuy wrote:-2- More general; where would I find the Adafruit libraries on my BBGW please ?

Adafruit_BBIO is included on the official BeagleBoard.org image. However, I don't believe other Adafruit Python libraries are included for various sensors and displays. The best place to look is probably the Adafruit Learning System in the BeagleBone section.

drewfustini

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.