Proper way of adding a TFT display to the Pocket Beagle in l

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ocram

Proper way of adding a TFT display to the Pocket Beagle in l

Post by ocram »

Hi,

I have a TFT 3.5" display with a il9486 controller that a friend let me borrow to use with my PocketBeagle. I want to use the fbtft driver in order to display an X11 application on it. I have looked around but can only find older implementations of this combination that describe using the capemgr and overlays to get it to work on the PocketBeagle. As far as I can tell the capemgr is replaced by uBoot but then it seems the overlays are now replaced by config-pin.

The overlays I have found seem to be meant to configure and enable the spi device and its pins. However, the PocketBeagle with the latest image (4.14.108-ti-r124) seems to come with the spi0 device already available and configured out of the box. At least some documentation I have found indicated this and the devices are listed in the /dev folder right after boot-up:

Code: Select all

debian@beaglebone:~$ ls /dev/spi*
/dev/spidev1.0  /dev/spidev2.0  /dev/spidev2.1

/dev/spi:
0.0  1.0  1.1
Both a short python and C programs with a loopback jumper between the MOSI and MISO pins on spi0 confirm it is working:

debian@beaglebone:~/testSPI$ more testSPI.py
#!/bin/python3
import Adafruit_BBIO
import Adafruit_BBIO.SPI as SPI

from Adafruit_BBIO.SPI import SPI
# /dev/spidev1.0
spi = SPI(1, 0)
print(spi.xfer2([32, 11, 110, 22, 220]))
spi.close()
debian@beaglebone:~/testSPI$ python3 testSPI.py
[32, 11, 110, 22, 220]

int main(void)
{
  int i = 0;
  int rxval;
  const char *send = "HELLO";//{'H', 'E', 'L', 'L', 'O'};
  char recv[5] = {'\0'};
  iolib_init();
  if (spi_enable_pb(SPI_BUS))
  {
    spi_ctrl(SPI_BUS, SPI_CH0, SPI_MASTER, SPI_RXTX, /* use SPI_TX or SPI_RXTX depending on needs */
             SPI_DIV32, SPI_CLOCKMODE3, /* 48 MHz divided by 32, SPI mode 3 */
             SPI_CE_ACT_LOW, SPI_INOUT, 16); /* D0 is output and D1 is input, 16-bit transactions */
    printf("Sending: %s\n", send);
    spi_transact(SPI_BUS, SPI_CH0, send[i] /*or integer to transmit data*/, &rxval);
    recv[i++] = rxval;
    spi_transact(SPI_BUS, SPI_CH0, send[i] /*or integer to transmit data*/, &rxval);
    recv[i++] = rxval;
    recv[i++] = rxval;
    recv[i++] = rxval;
    recv[i++] = rxval;
    printf("Received: %s\n", recv);
  }
  spi_disable_pb(SPI_BUS);
  iolib_free();
  return(0);
}

debian@beaglebone:~/devLib/iobb/test-io$ gcc -o spi ./spi.c -I../ -L../ -liobb
debian@beaglebone:~/devLib/iobb/test-io$ sudo ./spi
Sending: HELLO
Received: HELLO

This article https://www.mouser.com/applications/retro-arcade-build/ provides an overlay in the "Modify the Hardware Configuration" section that should do what I need, with a bit of modification since it calls out a different display model. But other than mentioning the dtbo file should be added to the /boot/uEnv.txt file there is no detail on how to do that (syntax to use) and also how to check that loading the overlay worked and a way to load the fbtft driver. Any chance you guys have some insight into what I could try to get this to work? The display I am testing with is working well on an Arduino Uno using the MCUFRIEND driver and the Adafruit_GFX library.

drewfustini

Re: Proper way of adding a TFT display to the Pocket Beagle

Post by drewfustini »

This looks like an issue for similar controller:
https://github.com/notro/fbtft/issues/311

The tinydrm (formerly fbtft) drivers allow small TFT displays to be used with the Linux kernel.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”