PWM Issues

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Mishra

PWM Issues

Post by Mishra »

I'm getting some odd behavior using the TB6612 Motor driver board to control two DC motors using my beagle bone. If I command P9_14 on to a 50% duty cycle, the motor on channel B also starts spinning at 50%. If I stop P9_14 to stop sometimes both stop, other times the motor on channel B spins twice as fast. If I then command motor B with P9_16 both motors spin again, but if I command it to stop the B motor stops. It seems like there's some sort of signal leakage, but I'f tried this on multiple setups and I'm seeing the same behavior. Any ideas?

Edit::
On further analysis there is definitely a signal being sent on both P9_14 and P9_16 even though I only command one pin. Both those pins are EHRPWM1A and EHRPWM1B. I can independently control the pins, if I send 14 a 25% duty cycle and 16 a 50% duty cycle they operate independently. Is this just bad isolation on the Beagle Bone?

adafruit2

Re: PWM Issues

Post by adafruit2 »

whats your specific commands for setting the PWM?

Mishra

Post by Mishra »

After I import the library, just PWM.start("P9_14", 50) and PWM.stop("P9_14"), same for P9_16

Mishra

Post by Mishra »

So Here's the sequence of commands I run and what ends up happening after I initialize the various GPIO and PWM pins::

>>> PWM.start("P9_14", 50) ==> Motor A spins at 50%
>>> PWM.stop("P9_14") ==> Motor A stops
>>> PWM.start("P9_16", 50) ==> Motor B spins at 50%
>>> PWM.stop("P9_14") ==> Motor A stops
>>> PWM.start("P9_14", 25) ==> Motor A spins at 25%
>>> PWM.start("P9_16", 75) ==> Motor B Spins at 75%
>>> PWM.stop("P9_14") ==> Motor A stops, Motor B spins at 75%
>>> PWM.stop("P9_16") ==> Motor B stops
>>> PWM.start("P9_16", 75) ==> Motor A spins at 25% Motor B spins at 75%
>>> PWM.stop("P9_16") ==> Both Motors stop
>>> PWM.cleanup() ==> Python Crashes with following error
*** Error in `python': double free or corruption (out): 0xb6f1e520 ***

Reboot beaglebone re initialize GPIO pins and load PWM library
>>> PWM.start("P9_14", 50) ==> Motor A spins at 50% and Motor B spins at 50%

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

Mishra

Post by Mishra »

I've attached a picture of the wires and the wiring diagram I'm giving the students. I don't think this is a wiring issue as it's been seen across multiple kits and :
Cape_wiring.jpg
Cape_wiring.jpg (173.45 KiB) Viewed 497 times
Wiring Diagram.png
Wiring Diagram.png (237.99 KiB) Viewed 497 times

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Huh that's odd the behavior you see with both channels being affected. One thing to check since the BBIO library is just a thin wrapper around the Linux sysfs GPIO, PWM, etc. drivers is if you try controlling the PWM devices directly from Linux's filesystem. Check out a guide like this for a few details: https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/7 ... bone-black

Do you see similar behavior if you manually control the PWM channels? If so I kind of wonder if it's a quirk or issue with the BBB's PWM channels--perhaps they are related and can affect each other in different ways (the technical reference manual would be a good resource to check for sure, I'm not totally sure myself off hand: http://beagleboard.org/Support/Hardware%20Support). Also another good resource to ask about it is the BeagleBone Black google group--the folks that designed the board are actually there and can help clarify hardware behavior questions: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!categ ... bone-black

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”