STA015 compatible with STA013

Minty so good. Minty so tasty.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Scratchbuild

STA015 compatible with STA013

Post by Scratchbuild »

Hi there,

I am very interested in building the minty. I have found the STA015 to be on free sample orders and is apparently STA013 compatible. As I have looked through all this I just have to GND pin26 and pin28 to be able to use the STA015 instead of the STA013? :idea:

Am I correct in this or is there some other pitfalls I have to look out for?

Regards

Nic

Scratchbuild

Post by Scratchbuild »

No response :(

Scratchbuild

Reply from ST electronics.

Post by Scratchbuild »

OK,OK I get it, nobody wants to play with me, BOOOO-HOOOO :D

But here is a reply that I got from ST microelectronics:
I am afraid you must change something when change STA013 to STA015:
1. Hardware:
-- if you only use MP3 decoder function, you needn't to change the HW both of SO28 & TQFP44 package.
-- But if you also want to use ADC function of STA015, you must change the HW

2. SoftWare:
-- Should change the chipset initialization according to STA015 datasheet & needn't "patch file" download anymore.

For ADC function, we only support ITU-G726 pack (G723-24, G721,G723-40).
So I presume I have to hack into the software and may have to change some initialisation code for it to work :(

Ladyada do you want to point me in the right direction please.

Regards

Nic Scheepers

sliverstorm

Post by sliverstorm »

"The MP3 decoder chip I used is the STA013, which is the only one I could find to purchase easily (going rate is $12) in the US (Mouser sells it and Digikey carries the more extensive STA015T which also does MP3 encoding, PJRC also sells it for a very good price. Also FutureLec has it for a paltry $7!)"

http://www.ladyada.net/make/minty/hardware.html

sliverstorm

Post by sliverstorm »

I read an interesting page (find it here http://www.compuphase.com/mp3/sta013.htm)
it, along with the message that you got and the spec sheet, make me think the answer is simple
a: we don't have to upload the configuration file anymore
and
b: vss5 should probably be connected to ground, but this may not be an issue, because it is probably connected to the 4 other grounds at some point or another.

Now the question becomes, will it still work right even if we upload the configuration file (called in some docs the 'patch')

P.S. ladyada, you mentioned the STA015T in the hardware overview of Minty, can you confirm/deny this stuff? Also, can someone take a look at removing the config file upload? I will try to take a look myself, but I don't know C- just a little tiny bit of java :P

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyMP3”