Status of Mini Minty?

Minty so good. Minty so tasty.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chaostic

Status of Mini Minty?

Post by chaostic »

Well, any word for us loyal Adaists?

Ohh, and just imho, altoids mint gum taste like burnt roadkill, or as bad as I imagine burnt roadkill to be. I might make one in a Penguin or Eclipse Gum pack instead.

hair

Post by hair »

I might make one in a Penguin or Eclipse Gum pack instead.
You mean the eclipse mints tin, not gum. Eclipse gum is just a cardboard wrapping. i was thinking of using that tin too. it's bigger then the altoid gum tin. but the openning of eclipse tin is smaller. The bottom of altoids gum tin is dented into the work space. not sur will every thing fit.

can wait till there more info on the mini minty. it's going to be soo cool. it's going to be like a mp3 player, card reader, and a pen drive.!! 3 in 1 !!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hair wrote:
I might make one in a Penguin or Eclipse Gum pack instead.
You mean the eclipse mints tin, not gum. Eclipse gum is just a cardboard wrapping. i was thinking of using that tin too. it's bigger then the altoid gum tin. but the openning of eclipse tin is smaller. The bottom of altoids gum tin is dented into the work space. not sur will every thing fit.

can wait till there more info on the mini minty. it's going to be soo cool. it's going to be like a mp3 player, card reader, and a pen drive.!! 3 in 1 !!
umm, no..it doesnt have a usb interface. its just an mp3 player.

hair

Post by hair »

:cry: no usb? :cry:

don't matter. it's still cool. when do you think the mini minty will be up on your site, ladyada?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

well, im working on it..there were a few bugs/mistakes in my original hardware design. but i think ive figured out what parts im going to use. so i'm laying out the PCB these days. unfortunatly, im completely swamped with finishing up the x0xb0x (which has been a massive undertaking and is taking longer than expected) and working (which pays my rent :)
id like to say ill have my prototype done at the end of the month. :?

chaostic-offline

Post by chaostic-offline »

No USB? Does that mean no serial as well? Cause if there's serial, I could add a ft232 later. But then again, my camera acts like a SD card reader...

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

im not sure...still working out the details. i dont think i have enough space for an FT232...id like to do the USB on the microcontroller, which has been done, but is very difficult. i think the most important goal is to make a kit that is low cost and easy to solder. if you cant build it, whats the point of having all the fun extras? :roll:

chaostic

Post by chaostic »

Sooo basicly, Mini Minty will be the mp3 DIY version of a cMoy? :D

Speaking of which, I see potential for a hybrid!!!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

actually. i changed my mind...miniminty will act like a 'usb pen/thumb drive' when plugged in (so you can copy over files and also recharge the battery). turns out i found a good chip for doing this, and its quite cheap & easy to solder.
now i -really- feel like im ripping off the apple Shuffle

im almost done with the hardware design. then theres a lot of coding...eek.

chaostic

Post by chaostic »

I love the shuffle, but there have been lcdless mp3 players thumb drives before it. And the shuffle doesn't let you add mp3s to it without iTunes and let you play them.

Besides, I know your adding the fm transmitter to it. Maybe a fm receiver too?

hair

Post by hair »

alrighht! :D i don't mind if there no fm if it has the usb. :D i'm so happy.

... when you say easy ... do you mean this mini minty a beginner's project or intermedite?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yeah im not sure if its worth adding an fm tuner (good ones are rather difficult to build) or an fm transmitter (are they really so useful? also, very difficult to solder)

i think this project is probably intermediate (like the x0xb0x, and NOT like the first minty) i used much larger surface mount parts (DIP/SOIC) and fewer parts as well. like, one should have soldered something already...but it could be your first surface-mount soldering project.

chaostic-offline

Post by chaostic-offline »

If anything, I'll add on the fm transmiter from maxim afterwards. And I'll probably end up making a Mini Minty + cMoy, with all smd parts ^_^. Well, not really, but maybe.

Anyway, I just have a question which you probably won't be able to answer unless you have figured out all the parts its going to use. What's going to be the max voltage for the weakest part of Mini Minty? I know that Minty ran on 3.3 max. but will the mini be as limited? I'm thinking that a 4.5~5.0 avg/max would be ideal, allowing it to run side by side with a cmoy. But then again, beggers cant be choosers.

backass2

FM transmitter

Post by backass2 »

"yeah im not sure if its worth adding an fm tuner (good ones are rather difficult to build) or an fm transmitter (are they really so useful? also, very difficult to solder)"
Adding the FM transmitter is really what sets this mp3 player apart from the rest of the field. I would say that besides the fact that you can put as much memory in this thing as you can afford, the FM transmitter is the second biggest draw. Please don't leave it out (also add a small switch to turn it on and off).

Thanks

hair

Post by hair »

to backass2 : don't the volume wheel act as a on/ off switch?
to chaostic: isn't it going to be hard to carry two tins around

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyMP3”