๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday October 14, 2019 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday October 11 will go out Tuesday October 15 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

Voltage jumps when USB plugged in. (help)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Voltage jumps when USB plugged in. (help)

by terpDriver on Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:23 pm

I'm troubleshooting my non-working in-progress minty number 2. I've got the firmware loaded and USB subsystem implemented.

When I connect the battery and flip the power switch everything that is supposed to get +3.3V gets it. But as soon as I plug in the USB cable everything that is supposed to get +3.3V jumps up to +4.35V. It does this regardless of whether the power switch is in the On or Off position. I'm at the point where I should be able to see output in hyperterminal, but nothing comes out and I think this is part of the problem. I've poured over my solder connections under a scope and don't see any bridges.

Any suggestions? Ladyada?
terpDriver

Re: Voltage jumps when USB plugged in. (help)

by Guest on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:58 pm

terpDriver wrote:It does this regardless of whether the power switch is in the On or Off position.

I've poured over my solder connections under a scope and don't see any bridges.

Sure sounds like a short or a low resistance connection. Check the +5V (USB pwr) and the +3V3 pwr with an ohm-meter or a continuity tester.

Try tracing between the tracks with a toothpick or similar, you can't always see the short.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.