Pi Zero- Defective?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Pi Zero- Defective?

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:17 am

Thank you. That set of messages doesn't show any sign of the PiTFT drivers being installed.

Try creating an SD card using these instructions from the PiGrrl 2 project:

https://learn.adafruit.com/pigrrl-2/software

adafruit_support_mike

by mblanken on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:45 pm

charrigan wrote:Being that when I would try to type a quotation mark [ " ], my keyboard would instead create a "at sign" [ @ ] vice versa.

My RaspyZero didn't recognize my keyboard and would do exactly what you described. I had to do a
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-layout
and select some generic keyboard in my case, repeating/rebooting until I got this to behave.

mblanken

by charrigan on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:58 am

In response to inserting the file in code tags:
Of couse, we don't know how long it takes for you guys to figure out where to go next, but
having us be a little anxious to know what to do next. So, please tell us what to do with what the
coding had given us to work with. As for, we are hoping to resolve the problem soon.
Don't feel rushed, if its a long process, sorry to bother.

Christina & company

charrigan

by charrigan on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:59 am

Oops, didn't see the latest response,
Sorry, kind of new to the forums process!

Christina & company

charrigan

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:33 am

The next step will be to see if a new SD card with PiTFT support recognizes the hardware. The results of that test will determine what we do next.

adafruit_support_mike

by charrigan on Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:22 pm

In response to updating software under PiGRRL 2.0 instructions:
We had just recently tried to use a new MicroSD card with the new retropie-4.2 image, as well as follow the PiGRRL 2.0 instructions to follow it. Repeating the same procedure on my old MicroSD card with retropie-4.1 image, as we got the same results for both! It couldn't find a file, when we tried the following command, as we were directed.
cd
curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafruit/Raspberry-Pi-Installer-Scripts/master/pitft-fbcp.sh
sudo bash pitft-fbcp.sh

Let us know where to go from there, thank you once again!

Christina & company

charrigan

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:52 pm

What was the exact error message you got after entering that command?

adafruit_support_mike

by PrintSmith on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:23 pm

following this, similar issue.

PrintSmith

by charrigan on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:31 pm

What does the terminal line say in response to the PiGRRL 2.0 instructions?
Response: It says the following:
After trying original commands for the PiGRRL 2.0 instructions, everything went well, until I got to the 3rd prompt on this line of commands
cd
curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafruit/Raspberry-Pi-Installer-Scripts/master/pitft-fbcp.sh
sudo bash pitft-fbcp.sh

Once I would try it the following message would appear:
bash: pitft-fbcp.sh: No such file or directory
That was the only message we got, indicating an error, so please feel free to tell us how to fix it!

Christina & company

charrigan

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:28 am

There seems to be a problem with the Raspbian version of `curl`. Sometimes it doesn't write its output to a file as it's supposed to.

Try this command instead:

curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafruit/Raspberry-Pi-Installer-Scripts/master/pitft-fbcp.sh > pitft-fbcp.sh

adafruit_support_mike

by charrigan on Tue May 16, 2017 5:35 pm

In response to trying the new command:
As of almost a month ago, we had been following the software instructions for the PiGRRL 2.0, and the extra command sequence given before. So, turns out the new command helped, and the SD card is set! We now have a new problem however, when examining the PiGRRL Zero, some wires came undone, between the PiTFT, and Pi Zero. Which is also when we realized, we never added the female headers to the GPIO pins! So we are currently at the process of ordering some chip quik, to desolder the pins as best we can, add the pins and wires that came undone in the game pad, and try the system once more. Fortunately, we are becoming more, and more familiar with our mistakes and solutions!
Thank you thus far! Sorry for the long wait!
-Christina & company

charrigan

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed May 17, 2017 2:43 am

Glad to hear you're making progress.

What you're doing is learning by experience. It isn't a straight path, but you pick up a lot of knowledge along the way. The more you keep working, the more you'll learn, and the easier things will get.

adafruit_support_mike

by charrigan on Fri May 19, 2017 8:37 pm

Dear Adafruit,
As of recently, we had tried to desolder the PiTFT from the Pi Zero, and failed. We had ordered an alloy removal kit to help us, but it didn't help much. The PiTFT is still stuck to the Pi Zero, as we are thinking of starting over with a new kit. We hope to start over, either with the same model kit this summer in better hopes of success. But for now, we appreciate your help!
Thank you for your time!
Christina & company

charrigan

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat May 20, 2017 4:27 am

Hang on to the one you have now. As you get more practice soldering, you'll find that you can do things that just don't work for you now.

You'll probably be able to come back to it and take it apart in time. In the meantime, it doesn't take up too much space in a 'things to work on someday' box.

adafruit_support_mike

by charrigan on Sat May 20, 2017 8:34 am

Ok, I think after a bit of reconsideration, we may call up some friends to see if they can help, or buy loose parts of the kit and re-salvage the old ones.
Thanks for the re-encouragement!

Christina & company

charrigan

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.