PiTFT 2.8" ZeroW no WiFi
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PiTFT 2.8" ZeroW no WiFi

by ganzuntite on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:57 pm

So I just purchased a 2.8" PiTFT with Capacitive Touchscreen (item 2423) for use with my Pi ZeroW. Initially I tried to get the screen to work with my original Stretch installation, but that just didn't work, so I downgraded to Jessie and I am now able to see the boot on the screen. I haven't tested touch yet, because as soon as I get the screen working my wireless disappears. WPA_CLI can't find the wpa_supplicant and the interface doesn't appear under the devices. While trying to troubleshoot all this, I noticed that the /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/model is showing "Raspberry Pi ? Rev 1.1".

This has me thinking that the Easy Install process doesn't work for the ZeroW and somehow corrupts the underlying hardware recognition during the kernel update.

Has anyone else had any luck getting the screen working on a ZeroW? Did I miss something in my setup process and I'm just a noob (which is highly likely)?

ganzuntite

Re: PiTFT 2.8" ZeroW no WiFi

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:14 am

Some people have gotten the PiTFT to work with a Zero-W, but there's a hardware problem that can't be solved by any software: the TFT has a metal enclosure that covers the Zero-W's PCB Wifi antenna.

adafruit_support_mike

by ganzuntite on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:15 am

Interesting... The issue I'm having though is definitely software related. After installing the Adafruit kernel, the WLAN0 interface (as well as Bluetooth, as I found last night while continuing to troubleshoot) are removed from the installations device tree.

I did manage to stumble across this page (https://learn.adafruit.com/running-opengl-based-games-and-emulators-on-adafruit-pitft-displays/pitft-setup) and starting with the basic Raspbian Jessie Lite image, I was finally able to get a post boot display functioning while still keeping WiFi connectivity. However, it doesn't appear to be the cleanest as the display doesn't show either the boot or shutdown process (as it did when I used the Adafruit kernel).

Another issue I have is the mouse cursor doesn't follow single touch as it should. X and Y movement is scaled and in my current landscape setup Y is inverted as well. Since I have the capacitive touch interface, I'm not sure that there's any "calibration" that I could do to help. Still working on things so maybe I can figure things out still...

ganzuntite

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:07 am

Check this item from the troubleshooting page to see if it helps:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... faq#faq-20

The Pixel desktop handles IO in a new way, and that forces some tweaking in the system files.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.