Removing Plastic GPIO Header from Pi TFT 3.5"
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Removing Plastic GPIO Header from Pi TFT 3.5"

by haysnolan on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:53 am

I'm working on a project and need to remove the plastic GPIO header from the Pi TFT 3.5" to make it more compact. I've read that it can be done, but I haven't found a very detailed explanation on how to do it. It might be as simple as just pulling the header off, but I don't want to damage anything. Thanks!

haysnolan

Re: Removing Plastic GPIO Header from Pi TFT 3.5"

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:09 am

It's fairly easy if you don't have to worry about preserving the header.

Use a pair of flush cutters to cut into the plastic across the holes at one end of the header. The plastic will crack easily, exposing the metal forks that make the header contacts. Once you can get a grip on a fork with a set of needlenose pliers, heat that joint with a soldering iron and pull the fork out of the PCB. When you have the two forks at the end of the header removed, clip away the plastic around the next set of forks with the flush cutters.

It's a bit time consuming, but not hard.

adafruit_support_mike

by haysnolan on Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:47 am

I removed all of the pins (I accidentally broke them off but everything looks ok) and soldered wires to only the places I need (SPI pins (SCK, MOSI, MISO, CE0, CE1) as well as GPIO #25, #24, 5v and ground). I left all the other pads alone. Now I only get a white screen on the PiTFT, so it must be an issue with the wiring? I don't see what I did wrong, maybe all of the pins have to be connected to the PiTFT for it to work? Let me know. Thanks!

haysnolan

by haysnolan on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Actually, I got it figured out. I also needed to use pin 1 (3.3v). Thanks for the help!

haysnolan

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:22 am

Glad to hear it's working for you. Happy hacking!

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.