PiTFT not working on Pi Zero
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: PiTFT not working on Pi Zero

by tpitman on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:52 am

That is interesting. Does this happen very often that a Pi Zero would have a bad pin?

I will get a hold of another one and see if that one works.

Thanks for the help and patience.

tpitman

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:08 am

It isn't an everyday thing, but also isn't rare.

All versions of the RasPi have fragile GPIO pins compared to the GPIO pins on microcontrollers. The RasPi's microprocessor was designed to run cell phones, where all the operating conditions are carefully controlled by a team of electrical engineers.

The RasPi Zero was an exercise in designing down to the lowest possible selling price. You do that by ripping out any hardware that isn't absolutely necessary, then running the what's left to the edge of its "less than 0.1% likely to fail under these conditions" range. More robust costs more than $5 or $10 retail.

adafruit_support_mike

by tpitman on Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:23 am

I purchased and tried a brand new Pi Zero W. Same results.

Can someone involved in the Pi TFT driver project please get a new Pi Zero W with 3.5 Pi TFT board and verify that it works for them?

tpitman

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:49 am

I have a PiTFT running on a RasPi Zero right now. We know they work together.

adafruit_support_mike

by tpitman on Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:29 am

Did you create it from scratch using the latest raspbian and pitft script?

I don't understand how I can start with a brand new PiTFT, PiZeroW, blank SD card, load Raspbian, load the script, run it and it doesn't work.

If you can confirm that you started from scratch and did the above then I am at a loss and could use your help figuring it out.

tpitman

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:40 am

Yes, I installed PiTFT support on a fresh copy of Raspbian, using these instructions:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... -install-2

Does the same SD card make the PiTFT work on a non-Zero RasPi?

adafruit_support_mike

by CoreyWC1 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:40 pm

adafruit_support_mike wrote:Yes, I installed PiTFT support on a fresh copy of Raspbian, using these instructions:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... -install-2

Does the same SD card make the PiTFT work on a non-Zero RasPi?

I did this exact same process with 2.8 and a Pi3 and have had no luck, downloaded Raspbian 3 days ago, could there be a software hickup right now?

CoreyWC1

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:27 am

Please don't spam the forum with multiple posts regarding the same issue.

adafruit_support_mike

by tpitman on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:50 am

So now that there are 2 people with this issue can we do something more to figure it out? If it works for you using the same instructions then maybe we are doing something wrong, but what would that be?

I am open to do any debugging that you suggest. I can get logs and send them to you. I really need to figure this out soon. Please tell me how to figure it out.

I don't think it is the PiZero because I tried 2 totally different ones, both brand new and purchased recently. Same with the TFT units. Brand new and just purchased. All downloads in the last few days / weeks as well.

How do I figure this out?

tpitman

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:03 am

To repeat my previous question, do the SD card and PiTFT work if you connect them to another kind of RasPi?

adafruit_support_mike

by tpitman on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:56 am

I thought I had already said that in the beginning. Yes, the exact same SD card works on a RPi 3B+. In fact it works in 2 different ones with 2 different PiTFT screens.

I have 2 RPi3B+, 2 PiZeroW and 2 PiTFT 3.5. I can use the same SD card in all 4 with both screens and it works fine in the RPi3B+, but not either of the PiZeroW.

tpitman

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:54 pm

At least we're back in sync on that detail now.

I'll ask someone to pull a RasPi Zero-W from stock and try to make it work with the 3.5" PiTFT we have now, but that combination is known to have worked in the past. If there's a hardware issue, it's something that occurred since the last time we tested those devices together.

adafruit_support_mike

by tpitman on Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:54 am

If you refer back to previous posts in this thread you will find that you already suggested that it was already suggested that there might be a bad pin on the pi zero.

As I have already stated that is why I purchased another pi zero and tried it with the same results.

Are you saying that 2 brand new pi zeros would have the same bad pins? I am confused.

Can someone please tell me how I can diagnose this? There has to be a log I can look at or an app I can run to help diagnose.

tpitman

by adafruit2 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:13 pm

that is weird, it definitely used to work- let me try it this weekend

adafruit2
Site Admin

by adafruit2 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:53 pm

we just grabbed a fresh pi zero w v1.1 and a pitft 3.5 and installed 2018-10-09-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip onto a 4GB drive, logged in, installed the pitft software (select pitft 3.5, 90 degree rotation, console on pitft) and rebooted and it worked fine :/
i didnt use a pi3 at all, wanna try the above?

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.