5V 1.5A Output PoE Module problem

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
valduboisvert

5V 1.5A Output PoE Module problem

Post by valduboisvert »

I got 2 of these PoE Module . I have a TP-Link TL-SG1005P PoE switch, 55W IEEE 802.3af. I use it for my Raspberry PI 3B+ with a camera v2, located no further than 25 feet from the switch. It took me a while to acknowledge my problems. First thing I noticed was the kernel dmsg "Undervoltage detected". I ignored it as I knew the module gives no more than 1.5A and thought this should be enough. Then I noticed the video recordings had frames randomly skipped. I could not record faster than 15fps even if I tried. Then occasionally the Pi would get stuck during the boot right after I power it up. All these problems go away if I power up my Pi over a classic 5V 2.5A power adapter. I can record at high fps rate, no frame skipped, no boot process stuck and no "Undervoltage detected!" dmsg. As I am not very technically savy I would appreciate if someone can shed some insights over this situation or help me debug it in more depth somehow. More specific I am curious about:
1) Am I the only one who is experimenting these symptoms?
2) Is this PoE module supposed to provide enough power for a Pi 3B+ and a Camera v2 module?

thanks,
Val

adafruit_support_mike

Re: 5V 1.5A Output PoE Module problem

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The Pi3B+ can use up to 1A by itself, and the camera draws another 250mA when it's turned on. If you have anything else connected to the RasPi, it wouldn't be hard to pass 1.5A.

We haven't heard any other reports of the PoE module delivering low power, so I'd guess you're just running close to the limits of what the PoE module can supply.

valduboisvert

Post by valduboisvert »

I want to post a follow-up to this just to clarify the issue and share the experience here. I am now absolutely convinced the Adafruit 5V PoE module I received is defective. I bought a UCTRONICS PoE Splitter Gigabit 5V (IEEE 802.3af Compliant). Without changing anything else about my Raspberry Pi I replaced the Adafruit PoE module with this splitter and the system is working fine. Just to clarify here, by "my system" I mean a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and a camera v2. Since this is the first time someone had an issue with these PoEs I assume I was just unlucky. I will try to contact the customer support and hopefully get a good one as a replacement.

cheers,
Val

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

They'll send you back here without a replacement authorization.. that's what we do here.

When did you get the PoE module?

valduboisvert

Post by valduboisvert »

Short update. The Adafruit customer support was very nice and they are shipping me a replacement for those. I will let you all know how things work once I get my hands on them.

cheers,
Val

valduboisvert

Post by valduboisvert »

Hi gang,
Got the replacement PoEs and I quickly tested them. They seem to work perfectly !! Worth mentioning is the packing slip is quoting at the end the beginning of Arthur O'Shaughnessy Ode We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams. Guys, that was so cool! You have a great team over there.

cheers,
Val

valduboisvert

Post by valduboisvert »

Just realized I did not answer your question, and that is rude. My apologies. I got them sometime in August. They were the first batch. The moment Adafruit had them in shop I quickly grabbed them.
adafruit_support_mike wrote:They'll send you back here without a replacement authorization.. that's what we do here.

When did you get the PoE module?

valduboisvert

Post by valduboisvert »

Based on a recent post I realized indeed that I connect the PoE in a different way that is shown on the demo. I tried to figure out the PoE header pins based on the chinese documentation and the Raspberry Pi3B+ schematics, respectively J14 PoE header. I connect them like this:
pin 1 --> pi3 J14 pin 2
pin 2 --> pi3 J14 pin 1
pin 3 --> pi3 J14 pin 4
pin 4 --> pi3 J14 pin 3
- --> pi3 ground pin
+ --> pi3 5V pin

Although the new replacement PoEs I received work flawlessly I cannot help but wonder if I connect them correctly. Could somebody more knowledgeable comment on the correct way of connecting these please?

Val
Attachments
pi3frontscale.jpg
pi3frontscale.jpg (219.22 KiB) Viewed 851 times

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

if you follow
https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/970x728/3847-04.jpg
then you should be good to go! i think the taps are 'swappable' because there's a full wave rectifier..

jruh64

Post by jruh64 »

I just ordered 2 of these 1.5A PoE Modules and I plan to do the exact same thing with them. I will be powering a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with the V2 8 megapixel camera board and another identical Pi but with the NoIR camera board. Both Pi's will be running MotionEyeOS.
Will 1.5A be pushing the limits? I am thinking I should have ordered the 1.8A model but didn't see it when I ordered.
I think I can set up the software so the cameras only send video and the motion detect and recording is done by a remote PC (in case that makes a difference).

I know this is an older thread but its really a similar question.

Thanks, John

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

1.5A should be fine, the Pi draws maybe 700mA. cameras dont take much current. its the HDMI/video or external disks or big LED arrayw that can push you up

jruh64

Post by jruh64 »

Cool. Good information. Thank you.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”