Raspberry PI Zero WH (WIth Headers) GPIO Double Soldered.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Raspberry PI Zero WH (WIth Headers) GPIO Double Soldered.

by antoniomika on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Hello! This was the first time I purchased something from Adafruit so I'm not sure where I should go about this. I purchased a Raspberry Pi Zero WH (Zero W with Headers) (PID: 3708, part of order number #1909463-685219906) from you and looks like two of the headers on the Pi Zero are soldered together. I figured it probably wouldn't be the best idea to turn the device on, but I was hoping to get it exchanged somehow. I attached a picture just in case I might have done/thought of something wrong:
I also wanted to order another product. Is it possible we could coordinate shipping so I wouldn't get double charged for it?

This seems like a much more impersonal support method, but someone from the main contact form on https://www.adafruit.com/contact_us told me to come here and post, so any help would be appreciated!

antoniomika

Re: Raspberry PI Zero WH (WIth Headers) GPIO Double Soldered

by millercommamatt on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:30 pm

If you have some sharp snips you can just snip that solder bridge near each pin and the solder bridge should come right off. Then you should be good to go. Or some flux and a hot soldering iron will reflow the solder back to their pins where they belong. The solder doesn't stick to the green.

millercommamatt

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:52 am

That is a solder bridge, and while it's good that you caught it before booting the RasPi the first time, it probably wouldn't have hurt anything. It just connects one of the GPIO pins to GND.

millercommamatt is right that you can cut the solder with a pair of flush cutters or an Xacto knife without damaging the RasPi.

That does count as a production defect though, so we (or the RasPi Foundation) owe you a new board. Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to support@adafruit.com and the folks there will help you.

Yes, you contacted them first and they sent you here, but they aren't hardware experts.. we evaluate hardware issues here in the forum and authorize replacements where necessary. The link to this page is your RMA authorization, which you didn't have before.

adafruit_support_mike

by antoniomika on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Great, thank you for your replies! Since I'm at Uni right now (and don't have access to any of my tools), I probably won't be able to remove the bridge myself. I sent a note to the support address and I'm waiting for their reply. Thank you!

antoniomika

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.