📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Attention all domestic customers! Please place UPS Ground and USPS First Class & Priority orders by 11am ET Monday December 9, 2019 📬❄️📦 Attention all international customers! Please place all UPS WORLDWIDE EXPRESS; SAVER, and DHL EXPRESS WORLDWIDE orders by 11am ET Monday December 9, 2019 📬❄️📦

Raspberry Pi Keyboard Model RPI-KYB
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Raspberry Pi Keyboard Model RPI-KYB

by PJOSSEN on Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:07 pm

The keyboard is connected to a Raspberry Pi 3.

I am able to use my mouse. I obtain information on my HTML monitor.

The keyboard will not respond. It appears that the keyboard is dead. No lights when I with Caps Lock, for example.

I connected the keyboard using a HTML cable to my Mac. Same result.

It appears broken or is it improperly configured?

Thanks,
Paul

PJOSSEN

Re: Raspberry Pi Keyboard Model RPI-KYB

by PJOSSEN on Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:39 am

I posted the original question and fear that I need to rephrase it. Here goes.

When I type on the keyboard, no letters or numbers appear on the monitor.
When I engage Caps Lock key, the keyboard lights remain off.

Since nothing happens, is the keyboard broken?

Thanks

PJOSSEN

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:57 pm

Could you post a link to the keyboard you have please?

adafruit_support_mike

by alphanumeric on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:58 am

Official Raspberry Pi foundation keyboard?
You said HTML monitor but did you mean HDMI Monitor?
Also you said you connected it with an HTML cable, but did you mean USB cable?

alphanumeric

by PJOSSEN on Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:15 am

First of all, I am a novice and am learning the vocabulary. My post is wrong. I am using a HDMI monitor and USB cable.

Here are the items that I am having difficulty with:
Official Raspberry Pi Keyboard:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/4112?g ... gIFvvD_BwE

HDMI 4 PI: 5" DISPLAY W/TOUCH AND MINI DRIVER - 800X480 HDMI:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2109?g ... gL7rfD_BwE

To isolate the problem, I am using my (1) TV and (2) Mac computer instead of the 5" HDMI monitor. The results are the same with (1) and (2):
When I type on the keyboard, no letters or numbers appear on the TV or Mac..
When I engage Caps Lock key, the keyboard lights remain off.

To be honest, I don't know the keyboard lights go on when the Caps Lock key is engaged on the Raspberry Pi Keyboard.
More importantly, I discovered too late that the keyboard configuration had to be changed. Is it possible, that all my issues center on its configuration.
If so, I need help reconfiguring it.

Once the issue with the keyboard is resolved, I will deal with the 5" HDMI monitor.

I look forward to your reply.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 10.55.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 10.55.02 AM.png (27.34 KiB) Viewed 154 times

PJOSSEN

by alphanumeric on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:28 pm

At one time Raspbian would default to English UK, and you would haver to go and manually change it if need be. My English US keyboard still worked, it just had a few keys swapped around. I don't think having the wrong keyboard layout is your issue, it should still display text when a key is pressed.
Are you using the cable that came with it? Plugged into the Micro USB on the keyboard?
It sounds like you have a defective keyboard to be honest.

alphanumeric

by PJOSSEN on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:18 pm

It is good to know reconfiguring the keyboard has nothing to do with my problem. Thanks.

I am not using a cable that came with the keyboard. Since local dealers do not stock male-to-male cables, I found the following one online.
3ft USB 3.0 SuperSpeed A Male to A Male Cable, Black

I bought a SuperSpeed cable because it sounded like a good deal, $2.20. Do you think this is the issue?

Maybe the keyboad isn't broken afterall. The cable is to blame. Agree?

Your second point is another good one. Since I discovered an image where a standard and micro cables were connected. I tried it and it did not work. At this point, I was thinking that the 5" monitor needed more power.

PJOSSEN

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:22 am

The RasPi Foundation Keyboard doesn't use a USB-3 cable.. just a standard USB-A to micro-B cable.

Does the keyboard work if you use the cable that came with it?

adafruit_support_mike

by alphanumeric on Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:42 am

That "3ft USB 3.0 SuperSpeed A Male to A Male Cable, Black" is your issue. What ever USB cable you use has to be plugged into the Micro USB port. The A ports are output ports for other peripherals. Your plugged into the wrong side of the USB HUB that is inside the keyboard. That also explains why the keyboard has no power. It can't be back powered through those A ports. Try the cable that came with the keyboard.

alphanumeric

by PJOSSEN on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:06 am

Thanks. The replies are very helpful. Part of the problem is that I purchased Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, 5" HDMI monitor, mouse and keyboard separately. The mouse came with a cable attached. The other items did not.

Issue 1. I searched the web and found the image with the computer connected to the 5" monitor. The 5inchHDMI1.jpg image shows two cables. I have Simon Monk's "Getting Started ..." book showing a one HDMI cable connection. I suspect that I have been mislead by the first image.

The cable in the top-left of RasPiStarter.png image shows a HDMI cable. It looks nothing like the cable that I need. I bought the monitor shown in the 5inchHDMI1.jpg image. It was delivered with no cables and no instructions. What is the right cable?

Issue 2. The RasPiStarter.png image shows the keyboard with a cable. My Raspberry Pi keyboard does not have a cable. I posted USBtoMicroB.png. It appears that it is the cable that I should purchase. The micro plug goes in the keyboard and standard plug goes in the computer. Is this the cable that I need?

Issue 3. I bought two Raspberry Pi 3 Model B computers for two projects and one 16GB Card with NOOBS 3.0. I understand that when I boot the computer that I lose the contents on the SD card. Will I need to purchase another 16GB Card with NOOBS 3.0?

Thanks again.
Attachments
USBtoMicroB.png
USBtoMicroB.png (805.62 KiB) Viewed 116 times
5inchHDMI1.jpg
5inchHDMI1.jpg (194.47 KiB) Viewed 116 times
RasPiStarter.png
RasPiStarter.png (745.85 KiB) Viewed 116 times

PJOSSEN

by alphanumeric on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:32 am

That 5 inch backpack display uses the USB connection for power. Its also used for the touch interface if it has touch.
It looks like its a Micro USB. The HDMI cable in the picture is likely this one, https://www.adafruit.com/product/2197
If you haven't thrown out the box the keyboard came in, have a look inside the cable that "should" have come with it.
That image looks to be the cable you need, you'll need two actually. One for the 5 inch monitor and one for the keyboard.

Your SD card won't be erased when you use it. NOOBS is an OS installer. It will be altered somewhat by installing an OS but nothing is deleted.
I personally don't use NOOBS as I only ever use Raspbian. I just flash my SD Card with Raspbian via Etcher.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/README.md

alphanumeric

by PJOSSEN on Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:42 pm

I have the cable that came with the keyboard and plugged it into the keyboard.

Test 1. I connected the Raspberry Pi keyboard to my Mac. No response. I connected the Raspberry Pi mouse to my Mac. It works.

Test 2. I performed the same test with the Raspberry Pi 3. I got the same results as above.

The two attachments show that I have made some progress. To be honest, I am surprised that Chrome worked because I am not connected with an ethernet cable and the Confest WiFI adapter that I purchased is not installed.
By the way, the way that I was able to open the applications in Test 2 is with the mouse.

Question Is the keyboard broken?

Comment I will purchase the https://www.adafruit.com/product/2197 cable at an appropriate time, buy a SD card and try Etcher. Thanks.
Attachments
TVoutput.JPG.pdf
(577.84 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
TVhookup.JPG.pdf
(529.79 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

PJOSSEN

by PJOSSEN on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:56 pm

I certainly don't want to waste your time.
Please ignore my last post.
The keyboard is working. Now, I will try booting up.

PJOSSEN

by PJOSSEN on Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:43 pm

First, I ordered a HDMI Flat Cable - 1 foot / 30cm long[ID:2197]. It will be delivered on Monday. Then, I will connect my HDMI 5" Display Backpack - Without Touch[ID:2232] to it. In the meantime, it seems that I can use my TV as a monitor.

Question 1. I bought a Mini USB WiFi Module - RTL8188eu - 802.11b/g/n[ID:2810], a WiFi dongle. I discovered that I don't need it because a Raspberry PI 3 Model B comes with it builtin and don't need the dongle.
True or False?

Question 2. Operating with my TV, I have a menu and Linux terminal. I found this: http://www.circuitbasics.com/how-to-set ... erry-pi-3/. It seems that I can connect to my WiFi. It fails. I never connected my Raspberry PI 3 Model B to the ethernet because the router is too far away from my TV. That is the reason that I bought the HDMI 5" Display Backpack. With it, I can conveniently transport my computer to the router and boot my computer.
Is it possible to boot my computer without first connecting it to a ethernet connection?

Question 3. Part of my problem started is being overwhelmed with the flexibility of Raspberry Pi and being a novice. I searched the web and found at least five Getting Started sites.
Can you recommend one for me?

Thanks

PJOSSEN

by PJOSSEN on Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:13 pm

IMG_0046.jpeg
System Connected to Ethernet
IMG_0046.jpeg (99.62 KiB) Viewed 59 times
IMG_0056.jpeg
Ethernet Connection
IMG_0056.jpeg (60.67 KiB) Viewed 59 times
IMG_0056.jpeg
Ethernet Connection
IMG_0056.jpeg (60.67 KiB) Viewed 59 times
I received the HDMI Flat Cable and set up my Raspberry Pi with the 5" HDMI backpack display, keyboard and mouse. Most importantly, I connected it to the router with an Ethernet. It won't respond with a Raspberry Pi desktop. The 5" screen contains rubbish. There is no mouse arrow. The keyboard won't work.

When I connect the Raspberry Pi to my TV. The computer boots and I get a Raspberry Pi desktop. I have a good collection of tools when I connected to the TV. Chrome, Games, and many other things. Problem: No Ethernet.

Question: Is the 5" HDMI Backpack defective?

PJOSSEN

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.