Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

HQ Camera has vision of one cell amoeba..
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

HQ Camera has vision of one cell amoeba..

by pvillads on Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:19 pm

I have bought the new Raspberry HQ camera and its lens from Adafruit. The problem I am having is that it has the same sight as a one cell amoeba. It can just barely differentiate between light and darkness. Here are some details:

I have been working with raspivid and raspistill with the same results. As I said, it can differentiate between light and no light, but no details can ever be seen.
It makes no difference whether the lens is mounted or not. The focus does not make a difference.
I have tried on two different PI models with the latest download of Buster and after doing apt-get update. The OS has the support for the camera set on through raspi-config.
The raspberries run well otherwise, with beefy power supplies.

How does one return non working hardware?

Best Regards
Peter

pvillads

Re: HQ Camera has vision of one cell amoeba..

by dherrada on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:22 pm

Hi, can you post a picture of what you're seeing through the camera? Also, if you have the one with the aperture control ring, make sure it's all the way open if you're in a dark environment.

dherrada

by Disciple on Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:03 pm

I'm just a customer who doesn't even have the HQ camera so I don't know anything, but is there a protector that needs to be removed before use?

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Disciple

by pvillads on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:07 am

I am enclosing a few files: One is a picture with the protector cap on. As you might expect it is completely black. When I look at the photo metadata the file is marked as 4056 x 3040 and the device is RP_testc, and the shot is exposed at 1/8 sec. f/2 3.039mm. so obviously there is a connection to the camera.

The other picture is the camera pointed towards a room view in normal ambient lighting. I have resized the picture to around 10% of its original size, to fit the constraints of this forum. It is a sickly pink color for some reason. I have not been able to get anything better than this, which is why I believe this is a hardware problem.

Both shots are taken without the lens. The lens does not change anything: It allows more or less light to pass through, but cannot bring anything into focus.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best Regards

Peter
Attachments
speaker resized.jpg
speaker resized.jpg (8.88 KiB) Viewed 214 times

pvillads

by dherrada on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 am

Oh yeah, that doesn't look good. It does kind of look like there's some sort of plastic film over it as another user suggested. However, if there is no such film, then it's almost certainly defective.

I'm approving a replacement. Please email support@adafruit.com and refer to this forum post.

dherrada

by jerryn on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:21 pm

Did you try it with a lens? On mine I get the same pink without a lens, but it works fine with the lens.
Depending on which lens, you may need the CS adapter.

jerryn

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:58 pm

Both shots are taken without the lens.

You definitely need a lens to get any kind of reasonable image. The ones you posted were both without. Can you post one taken with lens?

What lens are you using?

adafruit_support_carter

by dherrada on Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:49 pm

Oh, yeah. I completely missed that part. You're definitely going to need a lens to use this

dherrada

by pvillads on Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:23 am

Hello all,

About the lens: In the first posting I stated:
It makes no difference whether the lens is mounted or not.

Just to make absolutely sure, I ran another check today. The lens aperture will lighten or darken the picture (to completely black in a well lit room, which is a little odd, perhaps). The focus does not have any effect at all. There is only the pink soup shown above at any focus.

BR PV

pvillads

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:23 am

What lens are you using?

adafruit_support_carter

by pvillads on Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:20 pm

I am using the HQ 16mm camera: https://www.adafruit.com/product/4562. For reference I am enclosing a picture of my setup:
PICameraSetup.jpg
PICameraSetup.jpg (163.55 KiB) Viewed 28 times

pvillads

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:51 pm

Thanks for the setup photo. That looks fine. Really weird behavior. That image (pink one attached a few post back) looks exactly like a lens off image. So not sure what might be happening.

Did you email support yet for a replacement? If not, go ahead and do that and we can replace the camera module.

adafruit_support_carter

by jerryn on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:55 pm

It’s hard to see in your picture. Do you have the C-CS adapter installed? In my experience, it is necessary for this lens.
Edited to add: https://static.raspberrypi.org/files/product-guides/Typical_C-Mount_Lens_Guide.pdf

jerryn

by pvillads on Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:37 am

Jerryn,

Thank you for following up: Can it really be as simple as that? I did some experiments where I moved the lens in front of the photo chip. I do believe I was able to discern something there, but it is hard to tell without that part (the C-CS adapter ring), since there was light leaking in everywhere. Where do I get one of those adapter rings? It was not included in the package the camera came in. If it had been I would have used it!

Best Regards

Peter.

pvillads

by pvillads on Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:50 am

Oh no.

It turns out the adapter is part of what I thought was just a protective cover over the camera. The end of that part unscrews and the cover transforms into the part needed.

It works as a charm now. I am so sorry for the confusion, but I hope this prolonged tale is useful to someone.

Best Regards

Peter

pvillads

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.