Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

Cyberdeck hat not working with Hyperpixel4
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Cyberdeck hat not working with Hyperpixel4

by Zelphior on Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:14 pm

I have a hyperpixel 4 that I can connect directly to the GPIO headers (with a header extension) on my pi 400. The screen faces away from the keyboard but it works. I just bought a cyberdeck hat so I can use the screen facing forward, but when I connected it the display backlight turns on but only get intermittent video, only for a few seconds once the desktop comes up, then the display turns black. Most times when booting there's nothing.

I tried a fresh Raspberry OS install, ran sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade, then re-installed pimoroni's drivers from their git repository and rebooted, but still just get a flash of video showing the desktop for maybe a second then display goes blank again. Power off and pull off the cyberdeck hat and connect direct and it works again.

I am able to connect the hyperpixel directly to another pi4 and it works fine, but when I try the cyberdeck hat on the pi4 with the hyperpixel I get same issue, only the backlight turns on but video stays black, every so often just afterbooting will show a flash of the desktop then back to black.

Display works when connected direclty to 2 different pi's. Display does not work on either pi when connected through the cyberdeck hat.

Is there anything else I can do to test? Is there any firmware to update on the cyberdeck hat or did I just get a dud?

Zelphior

Re: Cyberdeck hat not working with Hyperpixel4

by adafruit2 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:42 pm

hmm do you see any solder joints that are iffy? we pass all pins through but maybe one is loose?

adafruit2
Site Admin

by Zelphior on Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:53 pm

Well good news is that when doing some more testing, I was able to get the hat working with the pi4 (had it on upside-down previously), so no issue with the hat. Display works fine with the hat on the pi4 and on a zero, but still can’t get it to work with the pi 400. I pried the case apart and looked at the pins there, and it looks like one of the grounds, pin 39, is a bit loose. Probably when the display is connected directly it’s holding it in place, but with the cyber deck hat it’s getting jostled just a bit loose.

Zelphior

by adafruit2 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:56 pm

! wanna try soldering it? not sure thats the issue but worth a shot

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.