Out of the box issue with Hardware Fan case?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
EmmetRaccoon

Out of the box issue with Hardware Fan case?

Post by EmmetRaccoon »

Hello!

I recently made my first purchase from Adafruit, hoping to get to use their 64x64 Panels with a Rapsberry Pi 4 Model B 1gb. I've always heard good things from my engineering friends, so I had very high hopes! Got everything today, and realized something was wrong with the heatsink case with fans (https://www.adafruit.com/product/4340) There was yellowish oil on the case (machine oil?) which ultimately isn't a big deal. The issue was the fans, or rather the point on the case where the screw-holes to hold the fans in place were tapped is totally wrong. The screws to hold the fan in place do not hold, it's as if it's the wrong type screws, or their were only holes tapped but not at the correct size? The body of the case fit the Pi like a charm, and secured, but the fans ultimately seem like they wont stay. Tried screwing all 8 screws in, only for all 8 to fall out completely. Fans are correctly oriented and placed, just no grip at all from the case for the screws. Am i missing some really core component of this that is obvious and im just dumb, or do i need to figure out a return? Im disappointed in the case to say the least.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Out of the box issue with Hardware Fan case?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Hmm.. that's odd.

Could you post a photo showing the screws with some kind of dimension reference please (a ruled scale if you have one handy, or just a coin if you don't)? 800x600 images usually work best.

EmmetRaccoon

Post by EmmetRaccoon »

This photos shows the top side of the case, in the basin where the fans should go. You can see positive threading.
This photos shows the top side of the case, in the basin where the fans should go. You can see positive threading.
ThreadsForPiCase_1_800x600.jpeg (162.6 KiB) Viewed 259 times
Included kit screws for the fan (8x included) with US Quarter.
Included kit screws for the fan (8x included) with US Quarter.
Screws_with_quarter_1_600x800.jpeg (74.45 KiB) Viewed 259 times
adafruit_support_mike wrote:Hmm.. that's odd.

Could you post a photo showing the screws with some kind of dimension reference please (a ruled scale if you have one handy, or just a coin if you don't)? 800x600 images usually work best.
Hello, thank you for the reply. Here are some photos with a U.S. Quarter for scale. Photographed are the thinner head (x8) screws and included were the large thickness screw heads (4x, for a total for 12 screws included for me) and I assumed those 4 are for the case itself, because they fit into the 4 holes in the base of the case. I tried them for the fans just to see, but they did not work. Neither screw type included will interface with those threads at all, even when the case is disassembled and trying to screw them in by themselves with no fans. I can see now actually, under direct light, that the case has been tapped for fan screws, but the included screws are of a diameter that is too small, they don't screw in, they just sort of slide loosely against the threads. also, not sure if this is relevant, but 3 of the screws were stuck together? had to break them apart. Normal?

Any advice is recommended. I really would prefer not to refund or especially return, id even take a clever fix (maybe careful super gluing? maybe i should just return it, haha...)

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You should be able to find bolts to fit the threaded holes in a hardware store. They should be metric with a 0.5mm pitch. Take the part along with you so you can test the match.

Please let us know what size ends up working.

Also send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to [email protected]. I'll have the folks on the business team arrange shop credit to cover the cost of the bolts.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”