Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 3-4 business days. On MLK Day no orders will be shipped.

Buggy display with RGB Matrix Bonnet
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Buggy display with RGB Matrix Bonnet

by rafuzo on Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:25 pm

I have a raspberry Pi 3+ with the Adafruit RGB Matrix Bonnet, and I'm encountering a really glitchy display on my matrix. I'm looking for troubleshooting tips to figure out if it's the bonnet, the matrix, or the cable.

Video2.png
Video2.png (170.32 KiB) Viewed 139 times

I have a 32x64 RGB matrix purchased elsewhere, and I'm following these instructions: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-rgb-matrix-bonnet-for-raspberry-pi/driving-matrices. Under step 6, in the section on how to configure the LED-matrix library, I've opted for the "quality" route and soldered a jumper between GPIO4 and GPIO18 - but to be clear, I did that after encountering this glitchy display issue with the "convenience" setting. My raspberry pi is *not* overclocked.

Part: Adafruit RGB Matrix bonnet part No. 3211
Invoice No: 2712601
Ordered Nov 14, 2021

rafuzo

Re: Buggy display with RGB Matrix Bonnet

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:14 pm

Try also adding some --led-slowdown-gpio= (see same page you link)
For Raspberry Pi 3 use a slowdown of 1 to start (use higher values if image still flickers). For Raspberry Pi 4, use a slowdown of 4. Older Pi models might work with 0, try it.

But also, not all RGB matrices are the same. So it may be due to some difference in the matrix itself.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Buggy display with RGB Matrix Bonnet

by rafuzo on Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:21 pm

Thanks - I've tried the led slowdown options and while some made it *slightly* better, it's still pretty unreadable using the examples in hzeller's repo. Mostly I'd just like to isolate what part is having the issue (bonnet -> cable -> matrix) so any suggestions are welcome. I've ordered backups of all three to see if I can isolate it that way, but would love troubleshooting/debugging tips that I can try on the components in hand.

rafuzo

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.