Would it be theoretically possible for a raspberry pi to pla

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
lesvaden3

Would it be theoretically possible for a raspberry pi to pla

Post by lesvaden3 »

If I converted the signals coming off of a raspberry pi's gpio pins to 5 volt logic, I bet I could have it sent pulses to a shift register and the shift register would read the signals like they were button presses and send that serial data to a Nintendo NES. The raspberry pi could play Nintendo games.

Obviously I would have to buy something like a CD2041 shift register chip, some some resistors(maybe) and a chip to convert the Pi’s three volt logic to the Nintendo’s 5 volt logic.

But before I foolishly attempt it, that seems possible, right? To make a raspberry pi play NES games…. I have a cheap original NES that I’m willing to sacrifice in the pursuit of strange goals.

lesvaden3

Re: Would it be theoretically possible for a raspberry pi to

Post by lesvaden3 »

Sorry. Chip would be like a CD4021B or something related.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The general theory is good, and it should be easy enough to do if you're willing to use 8 GPIO pins to represent the NES controller's buttons.

The CD4021 is a decent choice for that application since it's a parallel-in/serial-out device. The NES will basically take snapshots of the RasPi's GPIO pins every few milliseconds, then read them in one bit at a time. You could also use a 74HCT165 which does the same thing as the CD4021, accepts 3.3V input, and produces 5V output.

lesvaden3

Post by lesvaden3 »

Thank you!!!!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post back if you get it working. We love to see photos of things like that. ;-)

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”