Adafruit I2S Audio Bonnet

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
UMB8998

Adafruit I2S Audio Bonnet

Post by UMB8998 »

Hello, I'm having a problem with the I2S Audio Bonnet, it has a lot of noise on the speakers and clipping, that's either when I use it for playing audio or if I don't use it and just have the speakers connected to it. The interesting part is that If I press the hat onto the raspberry the noise goes lower.
The system is with a raspberry pi zw, I already tried with different raspberries and hats, all have the same problem. Trying with the hat from Hifyberry doesn't give me any problem and the sound quality is excellent so there is no problem on the soldering.
I have tried the setup with raspberry os bullseye and buster, both with the same issues only buster had a lower noise level. I have tried installing manually the drivers and with the Automatic script, both had the same issue. I also tried disabling Aplay, again with no difference. The volume in AlsaMixer is 80% and the interesting part is that even with 0% volume I still get the noise in the speakers.
I don't know what else to try.

Ps sorry for my bad english

mikeysklar

Re: Adafruit I2S Audio Bonnet

Post by mikeysklar »

Did you try the /dev/zero play option in the i2s setup script?

Our suggested level for alsamixer is 50% volume.

details here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-i2s ... -audio-faq

UMB8998

Post by UMB8998 »

Hello,
Yes I have tried with that option on and off. Also I get audio issues with 20% volume, and also I get popping even with a 0% volume

nyu69171

Post by nyu69171 »

UMB8998 wrote:The interesting part is that If I press the hat onto the raspberry the noise goes lower.
Do you need to press it, or does simply touching some part of the equipment help? I've had similar issues where if I touched the equipment the static would stop. If that's the case for you, then simply grounding the equipment might fix it.

UMB8998

Post by UMB8998 »

I'm not so sure, because some time it worked and sometimes it didn't but is a interesting solution I will try it and post my results.BTW how did you ground your equipment?

nyu69171

Post by nyu69171 »

I was able to fix my problem by pulling a regular copper cable from a radiator and attaching it to the surface where I could otherwise touch to ground it. Might not always be a possibility, though.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Thanks for getting back to us with your grounding solution. I'm sure it will help others.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”