Due to high demand, expect some shipping delays at this time - orders may not ship for up to 2-3 business days.

POE+ pi hat coil whine
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

POE+ pi hat coil whine

by tschoelen on Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:11 pm

I'm having issues with 1/3 of my poe+ hats. It has a horrible coil whine. I'm only plugging it into my POE switch. I am not using the USB-c Power cable.

tschoelen

Re: POE+ pi hat coil whine

by tschoelen on Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:08 pm

tschoelen wrote:I'm having issues with 1/3 of my poe+ hats. It has a horrible coil whine. I'm only plugging it into my POE switch. I am not using the USB-c Power cable.

Have others had this issue and is there a fix or should I replace the one hat?

tschoelen

Re: POE+ pi hat coil whine

by mikeysklar on Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:07 pm

@tschoelen,

This is from another post:

Replacing the hardware won’t guarantee less whine. The noise is caused by microscopic movement of the wire in the transformer as current flows through it. No matter how tightly a coil is wound, there’s always some flex.

If you got the POE Hat within the last 30 days you can return it, but you’ll have to pay the return shipping.

Send a note containing a link to this thread and your order number to support@adafruit.com. The folks there will help you.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=182852

Let me know how you would like to proceed.

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.