Product Request: CrowPi2

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
SilverwolfMD

Product Request: CrowPi2

Post by SilverwolfMD »

First, a little anecdote:
A while back, you sold a Raspberry Pi laptop casing for the Pi3 series. That was a great concept, but the Pi needed more power.

Now, you have the Pi400...which runs well with a lot more power, and doesn't need any special housings. However, I went with the Pi4B 8GB...so I could have the extra 4GB of onboard RAM. (The extra RAM and power was worth it to run Kubuntu, which helped me finish training on Eggplant automation.)

That got me thinking about how to build a self-contained laptop with a form factor that could be upgraded with each new Pi module. So, I designed and built the Hackbox, which accomodated a Raspberry Pi minicomputer form factor with heat sink, the Pi Foundation 7" touchscreen, and external access to all internal ports. For me, it was meant to be a prototyping and test rig for testing client hardware.

(I haven't released the wishlist or the STL's until I put some finishing touches on it, as I had to make a mirror image out of half of the case for better internal space distribution). Almost all electronics components can be sourced from Adafruit (I used a shorter microSD extender).

Then, barely a year after its completion, CrowPi releases a STEM learning platform called the CrowPi2.

I think this should be featured in the store for a few reasons:

-It is compatible with the newer Raspberry Pi4 form factor.
-It is more cost-effective for a self-contained package which includes a larger display, a trackpad, a mouse, and a keyboard, which puts it on par with the Hackbox for cost (parts for the Hackbox run $320 before 3d printing and assembly hardware; the CrowPi2 runs $340) or the Pi400 for utility (it already has the screen and pointer devices).
-It contains an onboard STEM experimentation kit with the standard header (you can switch between the header and the STEM sensors with a hardware switch).

With this kit, Adafruit can sell a complete laptop for young students and professionals alike.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Product Request: CrowPi2

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I'll mention that to the products team. Thanks for the suggestion!

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”