Serial Port Console accessible from Internet PuTTY?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
hsusmann

Serial Port Console accessible from Internet PuTTY?

Post by hsusmann »

Hi,
I want to connect my PiZero to a USB to serial port converter cable (Adafruit 954B) and then make my Pi Zero accessible from the outside world over the internet. I have opened port 22 (usual SSH Port) on my cable modem/router and forwarded that to the local windows computer's local IP address (192.168.0.6) that is connected to my Pi Zero via the 954B Serial port. I have the USB drivers loaded and I can access the PiZero locally using a PuTTY serial connection and it works fine.

I was hoping that PuTTY can act as a bridge between the Serial port and Ethernet. I cannot seem to find any information on using PuTTY this way.
Does anyone know if this is possible? Is there another open source program out there that can do this?

Thanks,

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Serial Port Console accessible from Internet PuTTY?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Check me to make sure I understand what you want to do:

You want to ssh into the Windows machine from the internet, then from there, communicate with the RasPi through its Serial port.

Is that correct?

hsusmann

Post by hsusmann »

Yes, either SSH in or Telnet in.
Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you have a login to the Windows command line, you can probably use `plink`, a command-line interface to PuTTY's back-end communication modules:

http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.5 ... pter7.html

hsusmann

Post by hsusmann »

OK, thanks for that info. I will have to look into it more.

In the mean time I was able to use an Arduino Mega 2560 with an Ethernet shield to make a Telnet link to the serial port on the Pi Zero.

I slightly modified the Arduino example Ethernet Telnet chat program to also output on the Serial1 port and listen on the Serial1 port input and send bytes to the Ethernet shield.

It does work however there is something funny with dropping characters, I am still tweaking it. I may have to drop down to a slower baud rate (I am at 115200 now).

Plink looks interesting, though. If I can get it working that would be my preferred way to go.

Thanks!

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”