Pi Zero Dead on Arrival

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
ebattaglia42

Pi Zero Dead on Arrival

Post by ebattaglia42 »

Hi Guys,

I contacted adafruit support about this and they re-directed me here.

So I got a pi zero recently and it was dead on arrival. I'm reasonably sure it was damaged during shipping, because I found a small electronic component that might be a transistor in the package with the zero.

The zero doesn't turn on, regardless of the power source. I tried several power supplies and wires, including one that worked with my pi 3. In desperation, I tried powering it on via a dissected USB connected to my laptop (I found a guide online for connecting it to the gpio pins) which also didn't work. I never got the green light to turn on.

I tried several different sd cards with their own copy of raspbian, including the pi 3 card that I know works.

My conclusion is that the pi is bricked ): I think it was the shippers so I don't blame u guys at all (I have been very happy with most of my adafruit purchases), but I would still like to get a working pi zero from adafruit. If you guys need my order number, pictures, or other info just let me know and I will reply asap. Thanks!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Pi Zero Dead on Arrival

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Can you post a picture of the Zero and the damaged component?

ebattaglia42

Post by ebattaglia42 »

Sure, here is a picture I took this morning for adafruit support.

In the picture you can see the pi plugged in without any blinking LEDs. I don't have the component with me right now, but I will be home in a few hours and can take a picture then if you need it.

The 2 points of solder that are visible on the GPIO pins on the board were put there by me during my last attempt to start the pi via the dissected USB. They definitely are the the source of the problem because I only did that after testing several power supplies and wires (starting with one that worked absolutely fine on my pi 3).
Attachments
20160929_065728.jpg
20160929_065728.jpg (675.1 KiB) Viewed 214 times

adafruit_support_rick

OK. We'd just like to see the part that snapped off, and where it came from.

ebattaglia42

Post by ebattaglia42 »

I put the broken piece on the raspberrypi symbol. I don't know where it actually fell off.
Attachments
20160930_043128 (2).jpg
20160930_043128 (2).jpg (709.56 KiB) Viewed 191 times

adafruit_support_rick

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement Pi Zero

ebattaglia42

Post by ebattaglia42 »

I already have. They sent me to this forum and told me to ask you guys for a replacement :(

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That's because we're the ones who authorize replacements.

Now that Rick has authorized it, the link from this thread will tell them that it's okay to issue a replacement.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”