USB hub(#2992) doesn't seem to like WiFi

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Plate

USB hub(#2992) doesn't seem to like WiFi

Post by Plate »

I recently ordered a USB hub(item #2992) for use with my Raspberry Pi Zero. I got it and it seemed to work fine. However, when I plugged in a USB WiFi adapter(Edimax 7811) things didn't go well. The adapter would connect for a few seconds, but every 10 or 20 seconds it would disconnect and then a few seconds later reconnect(I think it might have powered cycled). When I use the adapter directly connected to the Pi or in a different USB hub it works fine. I am using a 2.4A power supply for the Pi, so I don't think that is the issue. Any thoughts?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: USB hub(#2992) doesn't seem to like WiFi

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It sounds like the Wifi adapter wants more power than the RasPi can provide. The USB port's output current limit is lower than the incoming supply.

Do you have any other devices connected to the hub?

Plate

Post by Plate »

It seems to act the same whether it is the only device or if I also have a keyboard and USB stick plugged in. As I mentioned, if I use it with a different hub (a BANNED hub) it works without a hitch. So I wouldn't think it is drawing THAT much current, but that would explain things. If that is the case, I think I just need to return this hub.

adafruit_support_mike

That one does draw a lot of current.. from the product page:
Note that Ethernet draws a lot of power and you'll be looking at 280mA current draw when the hub is plugged in, even if the Ethernet itself isn't being used.

Plate

Post by Plate »

Well, maybe it isn't the best fit for my needs then. How can I go about returning it? Thanks.

adafruit_support_mike

We can do it as an at-will return, but you'd have to pay the return shipping.

Send a note containing a link to this thread and your order number to [email protected]. The folks there will help you.

Plate

Post by Plate »

That's fair. Thanks very much.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”